external sdram and gdb tool

Hi,

I have some project where I store my entire program in the external sdram (by redirecting every section in the linker script to the sdram). When I download the program to the board, it doesn't work. When I run the program in the debugger tool, it works. Does anybody know an answer to this problem ?

regards,

Tom

Reply to
Tom

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that with a 'debugger tool' connected to your target/board, your program runs *on your target*. If so then consider this :

The debugger tool probably uses an, eg, ELF format.

When you download directly to RAM, you need to convert your code to binary format (e.g arm-elf-objcopy -Obinary file.in file.bin)

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Berry

Simon, thanks for your information. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the .elf file is converted to a binary format before downloading it to the board:

bitinit system.mhs -pe ppc405_0 ppc405_0/code/executable.elf -bt implementation/system.bit -o implementation/download.bit

I can't find much info on the bitinit function...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom

You will need to give some more info before continuing :

1) what is your target board and processor 2) what tools are you using (grennhills, gnu, etc) 3) how do you connect to your target board (angel, JTAG, etc) 4) when you say that "I download program to board" - what are you using to download? how ? - as much detail as possible 5) when you say "I run the program in the debugger tool" - what are you doing ? as much detail as possible

The impression I got from your origional mail was that you have some target board that you are able to run your program on when you use an In-Circuit debugger, and that you are having problem running the program when loading it raw (e.g. through a bootloader). Maybe I made too many assumptions?

Simon

Reply to
Simon Berry

Simon,

I managed to solve the problem. Problem was that at first I downloaded the system, but then the program needed to be downloaded to the external sdram, I used XMD (xilinx tool) to do that. Since I was used to work with bram's, in the past I did not have to do that because in that case the program is considered as a part of the system...

Thanks anyway,

Tom

Reply to
Tom