External Micro/Mini USB Power supply

I am looking at designing a new product which will use a external DC power supply and because it has USB ports I was thinking of using a 5V supply and therefore a mini or micro usb type charger psu and am not sure which one I should go for and what the maximum current capability of the connector is. For some chargers it is 1amp at 5V but I have found at least one supply rated at 5V 1.8amp. Most of the connectors say 1amp, but at least 1 is rated at 1.8amp. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
steve.jones

Micro/Mini USB pins are very thin. I would not put more than 1A on it. If you need high current, i suggest standard USB connectors.

Reply to
linnix

I'd be careful about using those pins at that high of a current. Look at what temp rise was specified for the current rating they give. It may be that they just upped the allowable temp rise over the other guy by 10C, and voila, instant rating increase.

Reply to
Andy