executing program from external SRAM of EAs MCB2478

Hi guys, I have a problem and allthought I desperately tried to solve it there is no resolution in sight. So I really hope you can help me.

My setup:

- embedded artists MCB2478

- Keil ULINK 2 JTAG adaptor

- workstation with uVision 5

I have to program my prog onto external memory to preserve the flash ROM of the microcontroller. I found a Q&A about this topic and an example for a controller that is pretty close to what I use, but whatever I have tried it doesn't work at all.

The Q&A "ULINK: DEBUG PROGRAMS IN OFF-CHIP RAM" can be found on

I adjust all the settings under "Project - Options for Target" as given and created an initialization file according to what the article says. The result is "Error: Flash Download failed - ARM7TDMI" as soon as I hit the download button.

Also there is an example for the MCB2470 which should start the Blinky program out of the external SDRAM. It can be found under Keil_v5ARMBoardsKeilMCB2470Blinky. I compared the "Project - Options for Target" settings with what is statet in the Q&A Answer from above and its nearly the same. I also toke a closer look on the initialization file and compared it with the initialization of the SDRAM of another program I've already created and which works fine on my MCB2478. Both are literally the same (except one is in c and the other written with uVision debug functions of course). But I get the same result as above: it compiles fine, but if I try to download I receive "Error: Flash Download failed - ARM7TDMI".

I'm also a little bit confused by the download button hover text which says "Download code to flash memory" and by the fact that there are only programming algorithms for on-chip flash. Seems like it's not intended to program something onto external RAM with uVision.

Oliver Krause

Did you try this with ULINK 2 options set to "SWD" (not "JTAG")?

Cheers!

Reply to
c4urs11

Nope. There is no way to do so because Serial Wire is only available with Cortex-M but not with my ARM7TDMI.

Cheers Oli

Oliver Krause

Op Tue, 05 Jan 2016 14:21:31 +0100 schreef Oliver Krause :

Why?

--
(Remove the obvious prefix to reply privately.)
Gemaakt met Opera's e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/

ROM

Because of the limited durability of the flash and the limitation of the Debug Break Point count.

Cheers Oli

Oliver Krause

Op Wed, 06 Jan 2016 14:36:14 +0100 schreef Oliver Krause :

Normally it's not worth it to spend time on flash conservation. Good flash-programmers have the option to not program the same data twice.

Good debuggers can do software breakpoints in flash.

--
(Remove the obvious prefix to reply privately.)
Gemaakt met Opera's e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

Yes, true.

But since my current project will become a lab course for students on my university I'm neither expecting good flash-programmers nor good debuggers. ^^

Cheers Oli

Oliver Krause