Ever 'souped up' the ADC on Renesas uC?

Hello All,

Can anyone share their experience on pushing the envelope of the 10bit ADC on Renesas micro controllers?

The specs say it's +/-3LSB for non-linearity in 10bit mode but I wonder how far this and the effective number of bits can be pushed if doing a stagger/average scheme on signals in the audio range. IOW where you don't need the full speed. One concern is that they require Vref to be equal to VCC (I wonder what they were thinking...).

If you needed support how good was it? Any chip availability problems down the line? I have read mixed opinions especially by lower volume users but some of that was from a long time ago.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

My experience with the ADC on the Renesas microcontrollers is that it is "So-So". I am presently working on a redesign of the project that used the Renesas processor with something else, largely because of the ADC accuracy. I found that I was not able to get enough channel - channel or device - device consistency for the product. The application requires metering of phase voltages and currents for power quality and motor control.

As far as technical support goes, I personally think they are one of the worst companies I have had to deal with, but then the product volume is somewhat low.

Reply to
Noway2

I am just curious, your thinking about routing the same analog signal to multiple A/D inputs, averaging the signals, and hoping the different non-linear errors on different A/D inputs will be reduced via an RSS error analysis?

I would think the non-linear errors within a single mux A/D would be highly correlated and not at all independent? Again, just curious, don't know any answers to your questions.

Reply to
joep

The only thing that I would add is that I've been disappointed every time but once that I've tried to push a chip past it's published specs.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hello Joep (or Steve?),

Not quite. What I wanted to do is an old trick. S/H -> convert, then inject 1/4LSB offset, S/H -> convert -> add, inject 1/2LSB offset, and so on. However, this scheme won't help much in cases where the innards of the converter aren't good enough.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

I can't say that. When there was no other option I have pushed especially ADC systems way past that point. Things like ganging, controlled offset and phase shifts with feedback and so on. There were times when even seasoned FAEs said "you can't do this" but we did it. Sometimes it was the only way to detect really tiny Doppler shifts.

Of course, that often requires not to heed advice such as separating AGND and DGND (such separation has never worked for me).

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Similarly one can inject noise and oversample:

But you knew that ;).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Do you REALLY need to do this ? - what about a better class of ADC, like seen on the new Analog Devices ARMs - ADuC7019 et al ? These also have 12 bit, 1Msps, with typical spec of 0.5 LSB DNL, so there is room to further average... [ They also have 12 bit DACs ]

If you really must push the ADC, then consider a larger sweep ? : It is better to sweep the injected offset over, say 16 LSB steps, and average the results as you then smooth the step variances seen in SAR ADCs. If you just go 1/4; 1/2; 3/4 you are too locked to a single error point.

This trades off speed for more precision, and you are using the ADC as a precision comparitor, and adding a Slope ADC underneath the std SAR one.

I've heard various horror stories about some of the 'generic ADCs' that come with uC. Many don't even fill out the MAX column, and only spec typicals...

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hello Steve,

Well, yes. But it is easier to inject offsets. Adding four bits of offset (in theory) takes just four resistors and four port pins.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

I need to. The reason is the usual: $$ and power consumption. The only alternative would be an MSP430 but the versions with HW multiplier and

14bit ADC are too expensive and the specs on that ADC are, well, skimpy. Got to stay around 2 1/2 bucks for the uC in qties.

Yes, I just gave an example. I'll do a much larger sweep since this ADC can be clocked at 10MHz and requires around 60 cycles to complete a

10bit conversion. I only need a few kHz of effective sample rate.

That's exactly why I posted. The specs on the Renesas are a wee bit more detailed than on the TI MSP series. But they still leave a lot to be desired and every time I had asked any uC vendor for more info on more analog details all I got was a blank stare.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi Joerg,

Can you tell me some more about that last statement? I'm currently laying out a board with a dual 500Msps DDS and am trying to make the best of the AVDD/DVDD and AGND/DGND separation. But when I think about it, I can always find a reason why this separation is not such a good idea. And since I'm doing a multilayer board with VDD/GND planes, the question raises again if this separation is really necessary.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Hello Meindert,

In about 20 years on the roll I have yet to find a situation where splitting ground planes works. Except, of course, when regulatory or safety issues mandate it such as is the case in patient interfaces.

Think about it: The analog path goes to some other places. So does the digital path. Now you could run all signals differentially, buy out a ferrite manufacturer and place several pounds of common mode chokes everywhere. But chances are you end up with huge loops anyway and the brunt of the resulting unwanted signals will be burdened upon the poor DDS chips because that's where the grounds split. That can lead to unexplained noises and some egg in the face at the EMC test site.

The most striking effect I saw was with an ADC board that had to run four ganged 25MSPS 12bit converters and the utmost phase tracking was required. The designer had split the plane in one long stretch right under those ADCs. I suggested not doing that but folks were skeptical since the data sheet recommended it. Then one night I soldered it all shut on one board using up almost a quarter roll of solder, plopped the board into the system, noise problems gone.

The best bet in my eyes is to be very diligent about bypassing, use the correct trace impedance (trace width) and terminate accordingly. I use mostly AC termination.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Thanks for that story Joerg. It sort of confirms what I already thought. The idea of having all that 'error'-current flow though your chip and bonding has always seemed odd to me.

Regards, Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

In general I don't think mixed signal device manufacturers recommend separation of AGND and DGND, so I'm not sure where everyone is getting this advice from

This is the best collection of articles I have seen concerning the problem of mix signal devices and grounding, from the horses mouth (analog devices)

For mixed signal devices you should connect the digital and analog ground to the analog ground with the shortest leads as possible. Its a compromise but the best compromise possible with a mixed signal device (and the reason why mixed signal devices are inherently inferior to separate pure analog and digital devices, all other things being equal). Refer to the referenced document for good info and explanations of what's really happening and the logic behind it. (see page 3).

Reply to
joep

Well, what about the datasheets of the components? Here is a quote from Analog Devices (AD9952 DDS):

-------- Layout Considerations For the best performance, the following layout guidelines should be observed. Always provide the analog power supply (AVDD) and the digital power supply (DVDD) on separate supplies, even if just from two different voltage regulators driven by a common supply. Likewise, the ground connections (AGND, DGND) should be kept separate as far back to the source as possible (i.e., separate the ground planes on a localized board, even if the grounds connect to a common point in the system).

--------

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

"Likewise, the ground connections (AGND, DGND) should be kept separate as far back to the source as possible (i.e., separate the ground planes on a localized board, even if the grounds connect to a common point in the system)."

Hmm, thats interesting, Ok, I guess I see your confusion, my comment was from my experence with the datasheets I have read, which is only a small percentage of the available parts, so I spoke to hastily.

Relooking at some of Bryant's lecture notes (the author of the reference article) I noticed he did comment on data sheet writers FWIW

Bryant quote "Most ADCs have separate analog ground (AGnd) and digital ground (DGnd) pins, but too many engineers, and, unfortunately, too many data sheet writers as well, are uncertain how they should be connected. The lecture considers the nature of the currents flowing in these pins, the vulnerabilities of precision data converters to internal and external noise, and the effects of various grounding and decoupling configurations, and suggests, and justifies, a grounding scheme which gives the best possible converter performance in the vast majority of cases."

that lecture is here

In any case I wouldn't second guess the datasheet writer, I would ask Analog Devices for clarification on this point for this particular part, there are always exceptions to the rule, and errors in the datasheet, you have to found out which it is.

Reply to
joep

Where to make this connection? Especially if you have multiple devices that require both AGND and DGND?

And a 'direct' connection? ie I've had some old timers tell me to 'stitch' the two planes together around the perimeter of the board (every inch or so) using small resistors and/or ferrite beads....

Thoughts?

Reply to
Bo

Connect AGND and DGND together at each device to the analog ground plane. Note that I am referring to AGND and DGND as the pins coming out of the mix signal device (not the ground planes). The digital ground plane is tied, at one point, to the analog gound plane at the power source. Buffers between the A/D and the DSP are needed to prevent digital noise feeding into the mix signal device (and then to the analog ground). The buffers (and of course the DSP) would use the digital ground plane as returns. Put all the mixed signal devices and analog devices on one side of the board, the buffers in middle and the DSP on the other side. I would probably would further seperate the analog side between the quiet analog and semi quiet mixed signal, watching the flow of current back to the return paths as a guide to where to put everything. The digital power pin of the mix signal devices would be decoupled to the DGND pin of the mixed signal device, you can use the analog supply to power the digital side of the mixed signal device, with a ferrite bead in the path.

This doesn't apply to very high power mixed signal devices (like high speed DSP's with integrated A/D's), there really isn't a good solution with those.

Well thats how I approach it anyhow :)

Real life constraints (board size, board shapes, size limitations etc) all can force me to break alot of rules I just descirbed

Reply to
joep

Hello Joep,

I always do. In fact, when the layout guidelines section of the data sheet starts I usually stop reading ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Bo,

That's exactly the point. The more complex a system becomes the less clear a split ground structure will be. I guess that's why you can find a jumbo package of Aspirin in many engineers' desk drawers.

Oh boy. But I won't complain because stuff like that keeps our phones busy and puts food on the table. Because somebody is going to have to fix it afterwards.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg