EU lead-free directive

Peter schrieb:

"Waste of Eletrical and Electronic Equipment" - another new EU directive.

Basically, it is about that manufacturers of EE products must guarantie to take them back without cost. They also must be marked as devices that shall not be dropped into "normal" waste. This one applies to the companies that first sell anything to the (normally private) end customer, B2B is less concerned (if at all).

There surely are online documents about it, but I don't have links at hand...

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.

FWIW, here in Michigan, there is a core charge for lead-acid car batteries, though I believe it's much less than $400. I'm not sure of the exact amount, because the core cancels when you replace a battery (here's my old one, give me a new one).

[...]

PCB metals recycling has been around a long time. Usually, though, they're after stuff more valuable than lead.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

"Peter" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Don't add a lead bar to the product.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

That wasn't a bribe, just some casual compensation. You didn't pay him to do anything unlawful. Of course I'm not a lawyer and that's not legal advise (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Actually no. Engineering's job is to specify the right part. Purchasing's job is to buy the right part. The vendor's job is to supply the right part.

If Engineering has a RoHS compliance cert for part ABC Engineering is OK.

If Purchasing requires the vendor to provide a RoHS compliance cert for inbound shipments of part ABC, Purchasing is OK.

If the vendor ships part ABC, and part ABC is compliant, the vendor is OK.

As long as you spec in a part and require it to be RoHS-compliant, any problems that happen with the RoHS side of things are a fight between Purchasing and the vendor.

Reply to
larwe

In India you can pay 'rush money' to get the wheels of bureaucracy to speed up a little. It's apparently considered perfectly acceptable. Oh - never mind the business with customs at Bombay airport !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That probably produces dioxins !

I've seen stuff about 'recycling' pcbs and I can't believe there's any sense in it.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

a little. It's apparently considered perfectly acceptable. Oh - never mind the

Yup, one of the irritating things for people who move from such places to more "civilized" countries is that you often *can't* speed things up by paying what is usually a pittance more. The civil servants are unionized, relatively well paid and generally incorruptable.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

single

conform

finish

I suspect, since I was looking at some RoHS stuff today, that's intended to allow high lead solders for die attach in semiconductors.

I rather though that was *low* melting point though !

Check this out.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Sort of a moot issue isn't it?

The Dutch just voted down the EU Constitution.

...Jim Thompson

Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

up a little. It's apparently considered perfectly acceptable. Oh - never mind the

That is broadly true.

I was however quite impressed that when I once needed to - I was able to get a 'next day' passport by going to one of the Passport Offices ( London was the nearest to me ) in person at no extra cost IIRC - other than my travel cost of course. Had to show my airline ticket though. In very urgent cases I believe they can do 'same day' too !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Spehro,

Usually but not always. This morning's paper in Sacramento reported about one public servant who is going to "Club Fed" for six months.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

'next day' passport by going to one of the Passport Offices ( London was the

Them was the days. I had to get one for Idiot Daughter last easter. The quick passport now costs twice an ordinary one. Plus driving to Liverpool, good job someone else had the hubcaps first...

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Jim Thompson wrote

Does that make ROHS dead?

Reply to
Peter

Jim Granville wrote

Let's look at this one.

Let's say I am buying a microcontroller, which is not in a lead-free package; it's a very old design and is approaching a last time buy. In fact, I've had to buy the last few k from the cowboy dealers who buy up old stocks.

It would take about 1 man-year of work to redesign the product with a different micro.

I am planning to buy up a LOT of old stock of this chip; enough to last me about 10 years, because I don't have the resources to re-do what's in it, and also because what's in it is of very high quality (zero bugs discovered in > 10 years). This product has a very long life.

Does that mean I am exempt? It says "is not possible". But surely anything is "possible". One can put a man on the moon.

The more practical problem is that my customers are continually asking me for an ROHS statement. I just say we will be compliant by July

2006. After that, I might be telling a lie. Presumably, everybody else will have to do the same - even those who are relying on clear and genuine exemptions - because few of their customers will be interested in the fine print; they just want a simple compliance statement.
Reply to
Peter

The Europeon bureaucracy is alive and well, and running at maximum damage infliction ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Please let us know of your product. I do not want to be one of the suckers conned into buying, as new, something with maybe up to 20 year old parts in it.

Are you aware, for example, of the sulphur content on the cardboard boxes in which you hope to keep these parts, and its diffusion rate through the primary packaging materials? How are you going to verify the product integrity/reliabilty etc.

Reply to
R.Lewis

In my opinion, there are 2 kinds of engineers in the world. Those that worry about sulfur content of packaging, ant those that design useful products.

Reply to
GrumpyOldGeek

I suspect that those countries that get a vote on the proposed constitution are in reality expressing their distaste for things such as the Brussels bureacrats. About time too.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear