EU lead-free directive - Page 3

Re: EU lead-free directive
Hello Jim,

I believe it's not "and a PE" but "or a PE". Meaning that people who
work in med may be better off without PE since you can't get insurance
anymore.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: EU lead-free directive
On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:53:15 GMT, Joerg

Neeerp!  An officer cannot be sued _personally_, corporate shield and
all that... unless the criminal negligence condition can be proved.  A
PE with signing authority can... that's part of the "responsibility"
section of the law.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

True. But there were times when it was proven and then it was off to
Club Fed.

Yes. However, all these license boards don't seem to understand that
there are by now several fields of work where PL insurance simply isn't
available anymore. "Decline to quote" was the usual answer. When talking
to them it seemed that checking the "med" box has the same effect as
disclosing a prior stroke or something like that on a health insurance
application. So it seems that as a PE you can have a legal obligation to
carry insurance but can't get any.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: EU lead-free directive

In this case, I was hired as an electronics engineer.  The guy I worked
for had a PHD in biomedical engineering (or some such thing).  Therefor,
I was not the 'medical' professional on the project.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

The academic title isn't too important. What counts is who called the
shots. With a PE that can be different because they can stamp and seal.
Doing that on any piece of documentation carries a great responsibility.
Then again, so does the action of any engineer who is bound by the IEEE
code of ethics (but that doesn't count in a legal sense).

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: EU lead-free directive

IEEE code of ethics?  I'll just have to look that one up.  Basically, if
  a client wanted a 'marital aid' with 'midi in', I would just quote
them the cost to make a 'working prototype'.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Re: EU lead-free directive
http://www.ieee.org/portal/site/mainsite/menuitem.818c0c39e85ef176fb2275875bac26c8/index.jsp?&pName=corp_level1&path=about/whatis&file=code.xml&xsl=generic.xsl

Thanks, I have never seen that.  Looks like how I work anyway.  Except
the 'bribery' part.  We needed the use of a TV studio once, but the
engineer didn't work weekends.  So we scheduled 4 hours studio time on
Saturday, paid for the studio time, and slipped 2 nice crisp $100 bills
to the engineer.  He says 'any time guys'.

Sometimes the wheels of capitalism work better with a bit of lubrication.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Re: EU lead-free directive

http://www.ieee.org/portal/site/mainsite/menuitem.818c0c39e85ef176fb2275875bac26c8/index.jsp?&pName=corp_level1&path=about/whatis&file=code.xml&xsl=generic.xsl

That wasn't a bribe, just some casual compensation.
You didn't pay him to do anything unlawful.  Of course
I'm not a lawyer and that's not legal advise (:

Re: EU lead-free directive

In India you can pay 'rush money' to get the wheels of bureaucracy to speed up a
little. It's apparently considered perfectly acceptable. Oh - never mind the
business with customs at Bombay airport !

Graham

Re: EU lead-free directive
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 20:56:36 +0100, the renowned Pooh Bear

a little. It's apparently considered perfectly acceptable. Oh - never mind the

Yup, one of the irritating things for people who move from such places
to more "civilized" countries is that you often *can't* speed things
up by paying what is usually a pittance more. The civil servants are
unionized, relatively well paid and generally incorruptable.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: EU lead-free directive

up a little. It's apparently considered perfectly acceptable. Oh - never mind the

That is broadly true.

I was however quite impressed that when I once needed to - I was able to get a
'next day' passport by going to one of the Passport Offices ( London was the
nearest to me ) in person at no extra cost IIRC - other than my travel cost of
course. Had to show my airline ticket though. In very urgent cases I believe they
can do 'same day' too !

Graham

Re: EU lead-free directive

'next day' passport by going to one of the Passport Offices ( London was the

Them was the days. I had to get one for Idiot Daughter last easter. The
quick passport now costs twice an ordinary one. Plus driving to
Liverpool, good job someone else had the hubcaps first...

Paul Burke

Re: EU lead-free directive
Hello Spehro,

Usually but not always. This morning's paper in Sacramento reported
about one public servant who is going to "Club Fed" for six months.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: EU lead-free directive

Of course, as part of the fee, you'd demonstrate the 'instrument'?

--
  Keith

Re: EU lead-free directive

In the US maybe, but this thread is about the EU (or so it says)

tim

Re: EU lead-free directive

Threads have a way of wandering around, from my recent experience here.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Re: EU lead-free directive
Hello Luhan,

Look on the bright side: At least it hasn't degenerated into a political
shoot-out. Even though the recent voting results on the EU constitution,
... uhm, let's not go there...

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: EU lead-free directive

Ok, it fair to shoot your mouth off at left-pondia's politics, but not the
other way?  Gotcha.  <though there is really nothing to say - frogs and
all>

--
  Keith

Re: EU lead-free directive
Hello Keith,

Well, I try to stay out of political dicussions on Usenet. At the local
pub that's a different matter (but I'll listen to the other side).

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Site Timeline