EU lead-free directive

Hello Jim,

I believe it's not "and a PE" but "or a PE". Meaning that people who work in med may be better off without PE since you can't get insurance anymore.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Neeerp! An officer cannot be sued _personally_, corporate shield and all that... unless the criminal negligence condition can be proved. A PE with signing authority can... that's part of the "responsibility" section of the law.

...Jim Thompson

In this case, I was hired as an electronics engineer. The guy I worked for had a PHD in biomedical engineering (or some such thing). Therefor, I was not the 'medical' professional on the project.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

This is especially so under some EU and UK legislation. It is also the reason why engineers need to keep their own log-books (you do don't you).

Not necessarily on his own though. After all, the management should have ensured that their procedures and process did not rely on just one person's say-so for decisions on safety aspects of a system or product. We are, after all, now supposed to be completing a full risk assessment on all our products before we let them loose on the world. That does not mean that all products will be inherently safe but what risks remain in the product are identified, brought to the attention of the purchaser so that he knows how to safely use the product.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/********************************************************************
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

In the US maybe, but this thread is about the EU (or so it says)

tim

Reply to
tim (moved to sweden)

Hello Jim,

True. But there were times when it was proven and then it was off to Club Fed.

Yes. However, all these license boards don't seem to understand that there are by now several fields of work where PL insurance simply isn't available anymore. "Decline to quote" was the usual answer. When talking to them it seemed that checking the "med" box has the same effect as disclosing a prior stroke or something like that on a health insurance application. So it seems that as a PE you can have a legal obligation to carry insurance but can't get any.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

The Tech. )-:<

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Luhan,

The academic title isn't too important. What counts is who called the shots. With a PE that can be different because they can stamp and seal. Doing that on any piece of documentation carries a great responsibility. Then again, so does the action of any engineer who is bound by the IEEE code of ethics (but that doesn't count in a legal sense).

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

lead

single

conform

e finish

those

What do you make of:

0023.pdf

"Applications of lead, mercury, cadmium and hexavalent chromium, which=20 are exempted from the requirements of Article 4(1)...

  1. =97 Lead in high melting temperature type solders (i.e. tin-lead=20 solder alloys containing more than 85 % lead)"

Why would they make an exception for solder that has over double the=20 lead of that most commonly used for electronics? Does this mean that=20 if producers of electronics can find a way to use 85% lead solder,=20 they are exempt?

Reply to
John Popelish

finish

Probably because they're bureaucrats, i.e., have no concept of the way real reality works. ;-)

--
Cheers!
Rich

IEEE code of ethics? I'll just have to look that one up. Basically, if a client wanted a 'marital aid' with 'midi in', I would just quote them the cost to make a 'working prototype'.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Threads have a way of wandering around, from my recent experience here.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

It's stupid legislation that will merely increase the price of goods to no real beneficial effect and possibly put a number od small firms out of business. Funny ( ha ha - not ) since one of the leading ( lol ) principles was that it should have *no* effect on cost.

That's Brussels for you. Getting kind of sick of the Commission telling us what we can and can't do. They aren't elected either.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

No-one's going to be checking anyway !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Luhan,

It's here:

ROFL!

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

We used to be governed by Brittan. You know what our solution was!

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Hello Luhan,

Look on the bright side: At least it hasn't degenerated into a political shoot-out. Even though the recent voting results on the EU constitution, ... uhm, let's not go there...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Graham,

Except when a competitor is desperately looking for a chance to blow your company out of the water.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Luhan,

But it did cause a spike in the price of tea for a while because the whole shipment floated around in the Boston waters.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Thanks, I have never seen that. Looks like how I work anyway. Except the 'bribery' part. We needed the use of a TV studio once, but the engineer didn't work weekends. So we scheduled 4 hours studio time on Saturday, paid for the studio time, and slipped 2 nice crisp $100 bills to the engineer. He says 'any time guys'.

Sometimes the wheels of capitalism work better with a bit of lubrication.