ethernet-to-serial gateway

Hi, I'm looking for ethernet-to-serial gateway (1 eth port, 1 serial port). The device must support DHCP and link state change on eth0 (auto renew ip address from DHCP server). I'm testing tibbo DS202 and Wiznet EVB8051 but this doesn't works.

Regards L

Reply to
lsg

If you want to build your own product you could use a development board with an ARM processor and an ethernet chip.

You just need to create your own firmware.

Another possibilty could be the boards from

Regards Rune Christensen

Reply to
Rune Christensen

Comtrol has a 1-port gateway. IIRC, it doesn't renew the DHCP lease on link state transitions, but you can get a development kit and modify the firmware to make it do so.

Disclaimer: I used to work for Comtrol...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Did you find a
                                  at               DIGITAL WATCH in YOUR box

Try

Paul

Looked at the Xport from Lantronix?

John

I've looked at Tibbo Em202, Digi Connect-ME & Wi-connect, DPacTec Airborne and gone for the Lantronix XPort & WiPort. I spent som time on the em202 first (climbing the learning curve on co redirectors, and then bypassing them and trying to connect directl using tcp/ip). Ultimately, I gave up on the em202 because I couldn' get it to go properly in a client/server mode, and comparison, th Digi & Lantronix modules worked properly. The Lantronix WiPort i cheaper than the Digi Wi-ME and the tech support in the UK is better

The detail on the em202 is that if the PC/virtual com port end is th

slave, it has to poke the link first to get it to start up :!: which was no use if the cable got disconnected and the micro wante to notify the Pc that it was connected again

Reply to
Ken Macfarlane

Where does the TCP/IP stack it ported from? I wish I can use a FreeBSD TCP/IP stack in this device. On the otherhand, does anyone know that this device support RTEMS ?

Thanks Sam

Reply to
sam

Did you find any practical / cost effective solution for the com-redirector?

Regards Robert

Reply to
Rocky

Five years ago I configured a FreeBSD machine as a gateway for a cable modem. One of the machines connected to it was an Amiga using PPP and DHCP on a serial port at 115200. These days, if I needed it, I would use a fanless mini-itx board and FreeBSD.

--
Ian Stirling, G4ICV, AB2GR, Long Valley, New Jersey, USA.
Email address is not valid: contact details are on that

That sounds like massive overkill (and a lot of work) for most of the applications I've see for 1-port gateways. For less money you can get a 2"x3" board that already has the needed firmware in flash and requires about 2W of power.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Here I am in the
                                  at               POSTERIOR OLFACTORY LOBULE

True. I made the original FreeBSD gateway because I had an old Pentium 75MHz board ready to be thrown out - replaced it with a Linksys when I grew tired of the noise and didn't need the Amiga connected outside.

--
Ian Stirling, G4ICV, AB2GR, Long Valley, New Jersey, USA.
Email address is not valid: contact details are on that
domain's web site.
Reply to
Donna and Ian

Robert, you asked

It lets you use Microsoft's Mscomm to talk to it, rather than Winsock

which is harder. However, if you're planning to use lots of thes devices, you'll need to install a CPR for each device, which ( think) means longer boot times and the other ramifications of longer device driver chain

So you have to go winsock sooner or later

Reply to
Ken Macfarlane