Ethernet Terminal I/O board

Hi everybody,

I am trying to make a ethernet terminal I/O board. Basically making an x8 based 1U solution. I am trying to route the onboard ethernet connection vi a patch cable (Cat6). this works but I also want the link/status leds.

I did a simple PCB with two modular 8P8C Jacks with LEDs and hav connected them back-to-back. The inside Jack connects to my mobo with patch cable and the outer Jack connects to a switch on LAN. I need to no also drive the Link/Status LEDs...

Oh and one more thing i missed out, need to support 10/100/1000 Mbps wit bi color LEDs

Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated

Reply to
trex

You need to look in the manual of your controller (or its ethernet add- on) and see what kind of support there is for LEDs, then connect into that. If there's none, you may be able to do something in the low- level ethernet drivers and run the LED's off generic programmable IO.

Reply to
cs_posting

now

I thought of doing it at the OS level, simplest way of which wa monitoring /proc/net/dev entry, but I want to avoid doing it as it eats u my CPU cycles..

Is there a way i can use comparators to sense the current in the wire without weakening the signals and drive a ttl to show the LED status...

Any body has any circuit for doing this

Reply to
trex