Ethernet on Embedded System

Hi, I recently posted asking about ethernet on eZ80 microprocessor. Is
there a better processor to use? I spoke with an engineer at Zilog,
and it appears that working with the MAC layer directly is going to be
extremely difficult. Are there any microcontrollers that are better
suited for this task? I need to run it in promiscuous mode, which is
also a problem with the eZ80 because it can actually only support upto
4 Mbps, and I most likely need upto 10. Any suggestions of boards with
easy access to the MAC layer, high data rates, and just good boards
would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
-Greg

Re: Ethernet on Embedded System
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Greg) wrote in

You might look at the IBM PowerPC 405 series CPUs. AMCC is now responsible
for this line now but the part is fast, has a built in MAC which you could
set to receive all frames, and can use cheap PC133 SDRAM chips or SRAM if
you don't need much memory.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: Ethernet on Embedded System
Take a look at our dev boards....www.netburner.com

If you are looking for a CPU, try the Motorola Coldfire parts
at the low end of the product line 10/100 MAC and 32 bit processor can be had
for < $9.00

Paul

Re: Ethernet on Embedded System

for < $9.00

But too bad they have no integrated PHY => always a 2 chip solution.

_Or_: Are the RJ connectors which include everything but the MAC ?

---
42Bastian
Re: Ethernet on Embedded System

Look at the Motorola PowerPC MPC8xx processors. They have what you are
looking for, in many flavors. Look around, you'll find boards, perhaps
even reasonably priced.

You may look ar http://www.connotech.com/ppcmb850_toolkit_index.htm .

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
Re: Ethernet on Embedded System

There are plenty of ARMs with integrated Ethernet controllers, and
the Samsung S3C4510B is one we have used. This chip is used in many
of the cheap four port routers. It can be had for less than US$7.50
in volume.

As for boards, contact me by email (remove XXX and INVALID.) and
I'll see if our client can supply you.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk
Re: Ethernet on Embedded System

: There are plenty of ARMs with integrated Ethernet controllers, and
: the Samsung S3C4510B is one we have used. This chip is used in many
: of the cheap four port routers. It can be had for less than US$7.50
: in volume.

Hello Stephen,

Do you know of a source that will supply the 4510B in one or two qty.
I have someone looking for some.

Greg

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at) <initials of company> (dot) com

Re: Ethernet on Embedded System

I get mine from an Australian client.

We got the dev board from WBC (???) in the UK, so I expect they
have proto quantities as well.

Regards, Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk