Ethernet on Embedded System

Hi, I recently posted asking about ethernet on eZ80 microprocessor. Is there a better processor to use? I spoke with an engineer at Zilog, and it appears that working with the MAC layer directly is going to be extremely difficult. Are there any microcontrollers that are better suited for this task? I need to run it in promiscuous mode, which is also a problem with the eZ80 because it can actually only support upto

4 Mbps, and I most likely need upto 10. Any suggestions of boards with easy access to the MAC layer, high data rates, and just good boards would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

-Greg

Reply to
Greg

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Greg) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

You might look at the IBM PowerPC 405 series CPUs. AMCC is now responsible for this line now but the part is fast, has a built in MAC which you could set to receive all frames, and can use cheap PC133 SDRAM chips or SRAM if you don't need much memory.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

Take a look at our dev boards....www.netburner.com

If you are looking for a CPU, try the Motorola Coldfire parts at the low end of the product line 10/100 MAC and 32 bit processor can be had for < $9.00

Paul

Reply to
pbreed

Look at the Motorola PowerPC MPC8xx processors. They have what you are looking for, in many flavors. Look around, you'll find boards, perhaps even reasonably priced.

You may look ar

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier
Montreal, Qc
H2M 2A1

Tel.: (514)385-5691
Fax:  (514)385-5900

web site: http://www.connotech.com
e-mail: thierry.moreau@connotech.com
Reply to
Thierry Moreau

There are plenty of ARMs with integrated Ethernet controllers, and the Samsung S3C4510B is one we have used. This chip is used in many of the cheap four port routers. It can be had for less than US$7.50 in volume.

As for boards, contact me by email (remove XXX and INVALID.) and I'll see if our client can supply you.

Stephen

-- Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time

133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web:
- free VFX Forth downloads
Reply to
Stephen Pelc

: There are plenty of ARMs with integrated Ethernet controllers, and : the Samsung S3C4510B is one we have used. This chip is used in many : of the cheap four port routers. It can be had for less than US$7.50 : in volume.

Hello Stephen,

Do you know of a source that will supply the 4510B in one or two qty. I have someone looking for some.

Greg

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at)  (dot) com

I get mine from an Australian client.

We got the dev board from WBC (???) in the UK, so I expect they have proto quantities as well.

Regards, Stephen

-- Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time

133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web:
- free VFX Forth downloads
Reply to
Stephen Pelc

for < $9.00

But too bad they have no integrated PHY => always a 2 chip solution.

_Or_: Are the RJ connectors which include everything but the MAC ?

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)