ethernet connectivity

Hello all

I am looking for a cheap way to connect a PIC to an ethernet network. I've thus far considered:

  1. The rabbit-semiconductor offerings, and connect to PIC via serial. (9 for a dev kit, per module).

  1. ethernut, the built-up kit is 2.

  2. building an ISA bus master (have not done anything like this before, so I dont know how much effort will go into this, or if it will be worth it), and purchasing ISA ne2k cards.

Has anyone used a PIC to control ISA cards ? is it difficult ? where can I get more info ?

thx in advance,

goose, or maybe i'll just retire next year :-)

Reply to
goose

check out the wiznet "hardwired TCP/IP solutions

I have not used them yet, but are hoping to get some samples one of these days

Regards Simon

Reply to
Simon Berry

I have used the IIM7010 (non-A version). It has the same chip, but another PHY, AFAIK. I quite like this module, despite all the problems I had ;-)

I had posted a short report of my experiences in this news group on February

14th, 2003 02:35 MET. The subject was "my experiences with IIM7010 %-)"

Use

I will only repeat the most important thing here: Although the W3100A has

5V-tolerant I/O, the module has one pin that is NOT 5V-tolerant (don't know about the "A"-version.

And before you ask: Unfortunatly I have not yet managed to set up a website.

Jan-Hinnerk

Reply to
Jan-Hinnerk Reichert

It is very easy to control ISA cards (when not using DMA) - is is just an address bus, a data bus and read and weite strobes for I/O and Memory accesses.

Some examples on interfacing a PIC to an ISA NE2000 NIC found on google (pic ne2000 isa):

(in French)

Søren A.Møller

Reply to
Søren A.Møller

I got Xport from Lantronix now. It is $78 Australian about which is not more than $50 US.

It is the best and chipest I have seen so far.

Have you used C compiler for PICs? Is there a good and cheap one too?

Reply to
bobi

I've had a look at the website, and it looks pretty good. (although $50 is still a bit much)

thanks

no, the PIC i'm using right now (18f452) doesn't have a compiler targetting it yet.

there is a free compiler (google for "picc" or "pic lite" ... dont really remember too well) for the PIC16

thx goose,

Reply to
goose

thanks for the response, I am looking at this right now (I phoned the South African distributor, and they aid they are busy but will have someone contact me).

It actually looks suitable for a lot of applications that I had in mind.

thx goose,

Reply to
goose

If you're looking for cheap, this is your best route. There are many examples of PIC and AVR integration with NE2000 NICs, including Bentham's book, which includes working source code and a narrative:

ISA sockets can be had for about $1USD at Digikey, and the NE2000 NICs are readily available for $10 or less - roughly the same cost as the bare Realtek controller chip. It takes 15 pins on your controller - 8 data, 5 address, and 4 for IOW, IOR, Reset, and ChRdy. Data and Address can be shared with other things if you get creative.

Once you get the software working, you can make it sleeker by integrating into your own board for only a little more cost for the separate jack and passives (~$4 total).

I found this book and a logic analyzer to be handy in the process of wiring up an AVR to NE2000...

Richard