ESP8266 based digital wireless system for electric guitar

Hi, Some time ago I have published the wireless system for electric guitar base d on ATmega microcontrollers, RFM70 radio modules and CS5343 ADC:

It seems to me, that ESP8266 may be used instead of ATmega88 and RFM70 in t he transmitter, eliminating also the need of dedicated receiver (as the sou nd and control data will be transferred via WiFi to the computer running th e virtual guitar processor/amplifier). Of course TCP over WiFi network will introduce certain (fluctuating) delay , but alsa_in module can easily filter it out at cost of certain latency (I 've already tested it, checking possibility of building of such a system wi th Raspberry Pi:

).

The ESP8266 can provide much better audio buffering capabilities than ATmeg a88, and use much less power then Raspberry Pi. It can also handle switches /potentiometers via I2C or SPI connected DIO and ADC chips. However before attempting to implement such a system, I'd like to know if t here is any good documentation about using of I2S capabilities of ESP8266?

I'll appreciate any sugestions and comments, Regards, Wojtek

Reply to
wzab01

Cool!

Are your concerns mainly to do with the "monitor" (i.e., real-time audio feedback) capabilities? Otherwise, a bit of buffering (esp in a PC/laptop) and timestamped samples (at the source) can eliminate the effects of that delay.

Reply to
Don Y