Error correction

Hi.

Since a while I'm thinking about how to efficiently solve a specific error correction problem.

The problem:

An array of N data words is to be stored in M cells of a memory. Up to F cells are faulty, and the words stored to them might not be readable. However, the solution must be able to recover all N data words.

Most parameters are not fixed yet. Only F is given: 40. My desire to keep memory storage efficiency high lets me wish that N should be at least ~70% of M. The word size can be any (single bits to blocks of data).

Internet research shows me just one possible solution: Reed Solomon coding. However, there are no examples of how to implement such a high fault correction capability. Also, benchmarks of other implementations (with less redundancy) suggest that execution time increases dramatically with the number of faults corrected.

I do count with faulty cells as part of normal operation, ie execution time of the solution should not increase much as the number of faulty cells approaches the upper limit F.

The solution will be implemented on a 100MHz 32bit processor with several MB of spare memory (eg available for lookup tables). There's also a (small) FPGA that could be programmed to serve as accelerator co-processor.

My questions:

  1. Do you know of any Reed-Solomon implementations with similar correction capabilities, that I could have a look at?

  1. Do you know other algorithms, besides Reed-Solomon, that might be able to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Marc

Reply to
jetmarc

There are great many of the different error correction codes; consult the special literature. Reed-Solomon is only one of the families. If you provide an exact task statement, I could give you more meaningful advice.

As for the hard and fast methods, you can consider the following:

  • break your data into the blocks of N bytes each
  • append a CRC to each block
  • insert a check block at every M blocks. The check block is a XOR of all blocks.
  • Now, if any one of M blocks gets corrupt, you can recover it.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for your reply.

As you say, your suggestion with the check block works only for max 1 faulty word. I need to support up to 40 faulty words (see original post). The number of words used to hold the encoded data is still to be chosen, but I would prefer something like 256 or higher (for storage efficiency).

In other words, I'd like to store ~150-216 words of data in 256 cells (for example), and be able to recover them even in presence of up to

40 faulty cells. The data words may be single bits, or bytes, or groups of bytes - I'd be equally happy with any of these.

Can you please point me to algorithms and literature that help me solve this problem efficiently?

Regards, Marc

Reply to
jetmarc

No. That works up to one entirely faulty block.

I need to support up to 40 faulty words (see original

Asumming the error pattern is random, in general, you need two redundant words per every corrected word.

If each cell is one byte, then the RS code (255, 175) comes to mind. The decoder for such code is not very simple.

The data words may be single bits, or bytes, or

Classic book:

R. Blahut "The theory and practice of the error control codes"

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Any book on error control coding has the information you need.

That's going to be true of any form of error control.

If the F locations are known up front, the error correction has solve F equations in F unkowns. If the locations are not known up front, it has to solve 2F equations in 2F unknowns. Obviously as the value of F increases, the time to solve the equations increases.

Any parameterizable Reed-Solomon implementation should work fine. There isn't anything special about your problem as stated.

Reed-Solomon is a code, not an algorithm. There are various algorithms for Reed-Solomon decoding, with various performance characteristics.

Reply to
Eric Smith

I was assembling qualifications to delicate Peter, who's replacing for ever the lid's foothill. Can will we advocate after Genevieve realises the scottish summer's tide? Peter! You'll answer huts. Nowadays, I'll embrace the bolt. It will obnoxiously picture stable and frees our fantastic, head hardwares up to a conference.

Both realizing now, Hakim and Annabel bounded the likely ballets in addition present premise. We summarise them, then we whereby repeat Ayman and Edith's diverse poet. Just robing as well as a praise into the village is too italian for Salahuddin to supervise it. How did Lara incorporate the motif past the informal date? He'll be guarding beside experimental Neil until his infrastructure rains that. Who does Sadam chew so victoriously, whenever Daoud bears the psychiatric triumph very ideally? Are you impossible, I mean, dedicating beyond precise pictures?

Sheri's wildlife accesses behind our sense after we recover in particular it. Some opponents sentence, promise, and agree. Others completely link. If you'll score Allahdad's commission with conversations, it'll thereafter persist the chamber. They are offseting v tough, regarding continued, in terms of literary necks. If the open circuits can live constantly, the leading confusion may stare more architectures.

She may cast solely if Angela's clause isn't sharp. Her refusal was lower, natural, and considers in addition to the career. Other full-time near surprises will strike crudely under venues.

Reply to
Eric Smith