er..Anyone have an OS for 8051/89c51/52 etc?

Im new to this area (embedded systems), ive started with the 8051
uC..right now im trying out new things everyday with it to learn.

Does anyone know where i can find a free OS i can cram into the 89c51?
Id be much obliged.

And if anyone knows more about intersting stuff to do with this uC,
like loading OSs onto it(il figure out why after i do it :-S), plz
enlighten me.

Thanx in anticipation

Mayank

Re: er..Anyone have an OS for 8051/89c51/52 etc?

http://www.ucos-ii.com/contents/products/ucos-ii/ports.html

Since you are new to embedded systems you should first ask yourself if
the application is big enough for an OS, or if you should do it in a
task loop.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Exactly.  I wrote the code for about 10 different 8051-based telecom
products and I never had any need for an OS.  You can do a *lot*
without one.

I'm not at all against OS's - I just used one in a Coldfire-based
product because I needed one.

Casey

Re: er..Anyone have an OS for 8051/89c51/52 etc?

The cost/benefit tradeoff goes something like this:

With an OS you pay a big price in effort (and possibly fees) to get the
framework up, then each job that needs to be done can be put in a task
with a relatively small effort -- AND -- you don't have to worry nearly
as much about interaction (until you use up that last clock cycle and
your world falls apart).

With no OS you pay a small price in effort to get the framework (if any)
up, then each job that needs to be done has to be referenced in the main
body of code for a medium amount of effort, with lots of interaction
between parts (but the interaction is easy to see).

So if you're doing a small application you shouldn't use an OS unless it
somehow comes for free (i.e. you've got a nearly identical board to one
that has a running OS on it, and you don't have to pay fees).  If you're
doing a really large application then you should use an OS practically
no matter what (i.e. anything that's not life critical like a jetliner
fly-by-wire system).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I think you need to figure this out FIRST.

Anyway, lots of stuff about the 8021 at www.8052.com

Ian

Ian Bell

Re: er..Anyone have an OS for 8051/89c51/52 etc?

http://www.FreeRTOS.org has an 8051 port.

Re: er..Anyone have an OS for 8051/89c51/52 etc?

DCX51

Google search found this interesting site:

http://margo.student.utwente.nl/el/micros/80xx /

and this

http://www.hoeben.com /

Rufus

Re: er..Anyone have an OS for 8051/89c51/52 etc?

There is Micro Cos OS/II

Re: er..Anyone have an OS for 8051/89c51/52 etc?
Thanx for your responses..im enlightened already!

Site Timeline