er..Anyone have an OS for 8051/89c51/52 etc?

Hi,

Im new to this area (embedded systems), ive started with the 8051 uC..right now im trying out new things everyday with it to learn.

Does anyone know where i can find a free OS i can cram into the 89c51? Id be much obliged.

And if anyone knows more about intersting stuff to do with this uC, like loading OSs onto it(il figure out why after i do it :-S), plz enlighten me.

Thanx in anticipation

Mayank

Reply to
funkymunky

Since you are new to embedded systems you should first ask yourself if the application is big enough for an OS, or if you should do it in a task loop.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I think you need to figure this out FIRST.

Anyway, lots of stuff about the 8021 at

Ian

Ian Bell

Reply to
Ian Bell

has an 8051 port.

Reply to
Gus

DCX51

Google search found this interesting site:

and this

Rufus

Reply to
Rufus V. Smith

Exactly. I wrote the code for about 10 different 8051-based telecom products and I never had any need for an OS. You can do a *lot* without one.

I'm not at all against OS's - I just used one in a Coldfire-based product because I needed one.

Casey

Reply to
Casey

The cost/benefit tradeoff goes something like this:

With an OS you pay a big price in effort (and possibly fees) to get the framework up, then each job that needs to be done can be put in a task with a relatively small effort -- AND -- you don't have to worry nearly as much about interaction (until you use up that last clock cycle and your world falls apart).

With no OS you pay a small price in effort to get the framework (if any) up, then each job that needs to be done has to be referenced in the main body of code for a medium amount of effort, with lots of interaction between parts (but the interaction is easy to see).

So if you're doing a small application you shouldn't use an OS unless it somehow comes for free (i.e. you've got a nearly identical board to one that has a running OS on it, and you don't have to pay fees). If you're doing a really large application then you should use an OS practically no matter what (i.e. anything that's not life critical like a jetliner fly-by-wire system).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

There is Micro Cos OS/II

Reply to
Neil Kurzman

Thanx for your responses..im enlightened already!

Reply to
funkymunky