Embedded XT & Visual Basic

Here we go again....  Boss has decided on running our datalogging project on
XPe.
Now he is talking about going with a easier, more popular programming
language.
Currently I used Delphi 6, however he would like to see Visual Basic or
Visual C++ because he feels
they are both Microsoft Products, and it would be much easier to find a
replacement programmer if he
ever needs to (Gee Thanks!).  I know VB, not a pro but pretty decent at it,
but I have used it pretty often several years ago in the VB 4 days.

Project - Remote Datalogger grabbing info from 32 ADC Channels on PC104
Card, grabbing some Modbus stuff, storing info on USB Flash.  User Interface
will be done via TCPIP or Serial Dial Up.

Questions,
Is there any known issues developing VB applications to run under XP?
I need to research all this .Net stuff, but is the .Net that much different,
is there a large learning curve?

Opinions and advice requested.  Hopefully, the boss man quits flipping me
around so much so we can get started.

Richard

Re: Embedded XT & Visual Basic

Don't know about with VB, but from what I gather, .Net is supposed make Windows
programming much easier. I've got the Prosise book but I haven't really had
much time to put into it.

Re: Embedded XT & Visual Basic

My advice - put heavy effort into finding a new position.  If you
do, quit him flat.  He obviously enjoys being reamed by Microsoft.

Re: Embedded XT & Visual Basic
We too are starting with XPe,

There is only one book on XPe (available from Amazon.com).

It mentions that Visual Studio (VB, VC++)  etc will work OK on XPe

Can't confirm as the h/w arrives monday!

REgards
JG
on
it,
Interface
different,

Re: Embedded XT & Visual Basic
Hi Richard,

Extract from the "fortune" program :

Technology is dominated by two types of people :
- Those who understand what they do not manage.
- Those who manage what they do not understand.

;-)

A simple Linux kernel (try "slackware", it's free and very
reliable) using GNU (gcc) to create the embedded code. Data display
throught a http server (apache) or a X11 network connection
(if you need realtime uptime).

Lower cost, lower storage (it can be run with a 64MB CompactFlash),
more reliable, fully open-source.

Regards
Emmanuel.

XPe.
.../...

Re: Embedded XT & Visual Basic

The last "success story" around Windows XP Embedded I've seen here:

Easier for exactly whom?  Popular where?

  Vadim

Re: Embedded XT & Visual Basic

on
it,

Is your boss wearing one of those large shiny metal mind control devices the
"Daleks" on Dr Who used (except with MS stamped on it) !

Interface
different,

I have a friend/associate who has just whipped up some datalogging stuff on
VB6 (pre- .net) under XP (not embedded) and it is easy. He's definetly an XP
beginner (but a good Motorola asm prog) so you should be fine. Interestingly
his other apps, written for him, were all Delphi too..

Re: Embedded XT & Visual Basic
How easy the transition is depends a lot on how comfortable you are in
a true OO environment.  Most VB programmers I know (including me) are
having a long learning curve to write decent VB.Net code.  You can
write something that works, it is not "good code".

A recent editorial in Acess/VB Advisor magazine said something to the
effect that VB.Net is not what VB Programmers wanted, but what C++
programmers thought they should have.
 --
    J. Gary Bender
    Tijeras, New Mexico  USA

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:50:48 GMT, "Richard Skinner"

Re: Embedded XT & Visual Basic
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 14:25:20 GMT, J. Gary Bender

Well cool, maybe I should switch to VB.Net then.  I'm a C++
programmer, but I use VB 6.0 for slapping together simple UI programs
for various reasons.  Everytime I use VB 6.0 I get irritated for some
reason. :)

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology