Embedded XT & Visual Basic

Here we go again.... Boss has decided on running our datalogging project on XPe. Now he is talking about going with a easier, more popular programming language. Currently I used Delphi 6, however he would like to see Visual Basic or Visual C++ because he feels they are both Microsoft Products, and it would be much easier to find a replacement programmer if he ever needs to (Gee Thanks!). I know VB, not a pro but pretty decent at it, but I have used it pretty often several years ago in the VB 4 days.

Project - Remote Datalogger grabbing info from 32 ADC Channels on PC104 Card, grabbing some Modbus stuff, storing info on USB Flash. User Interface will be done via TCPIP or Serial Dial Up.

Questions, Is there any known issues developing VB applications to run under XP? I need to research all this .Net stuff, but is the .Net that much different, is there a large learning curve?

Opinions and advice requested. Hopefully, the boss man quits flipping me around so much so we can get started.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Skinner

Don't know about with VB, but from what I gather, .Net is supposed make Windows programming much easier. I've got the Prosise book but I haven't really had much time to put into it.

Reply to
Gary Kato

My advice - put heavy effort into finding a new position. If you do, quit him flat. He obviously enjoys being reamed by Microsoft.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

We too are starting with XPe,

There is only one book on XPe (available from Amazon.com).

It mentions that Visual Studio (VB, VC++) etc will work OK on XPe

Can't confirm as the h/w arrives monday!

on

it,

Interface

different,

Reply to
Joseph Goldburg

Hi Richard,

Extract from the "fortune" program :

Technology is dominated by two types of people :

- Those who understand what they do not manage.

- Those who manage what they do not understand.

;-)

A simple Linux kernel (try "slackware", it's free and very reliable) using GNU (gcc) to create the embedded code. Data display throught a http server (apache) or a X11 network connection (if you need realtime uptime).

Lower cost, lower storage (it can be run with a 64MB CompactFlash), more reliable, fully open-source.

Regards Emmanuel.

Richard Sk> Here we go again.... Boss has decided on running our datalogging project on

XPe.

.../...

Reply to
Emmanuel Herbreteau

The last "success story" around Windows XP Embedded I've seen here:

Easier for exactly whom? Popular where?

Vadim

Reply to
Vadim Borshchev

on

it,

Is your boss wearing one of those large shiny metal mind control devices the "Daleks" on Dr Who used (except with MS stamped on it) !

Interface

different,

I have a friend/associate who has just whipped up some datalogging stuff on VB6 (pre- .net) under XP (not embedded) and it is easy. He's definetly an XP beginner (but a good Motorola asm prog) so you should be fine. Interestingly his other apps, written for him, were all Delphi too..

Reply to
Iggy

How easy the transition is depends a lot on how comfortable you are in a true OO environment. Most VB programmers I know (including me) are having a long learning curve to write decent VB.Net code. You can write something that works, it is not "good code".

A recent editorial >Here we go again.... Boss has decided on running our datalogging project on

Reply to
J. Gary Bender

Well cool, maybe I should switch to VB.Net then. I'm a C++ programmer, but I use VB 6.0 for slapping together simple UI programs for various reasons. Everytime I use VB 6.0 I get irritated for some reason. :)

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology