Embedded Web Server

I'm looking for an embedded microprocessor that can run a web server. The purpose of it will be to configure an embedded system via a web page similar to how you configure most routers.

I've been looking around and have found a few linux ports that run on the Freescale ColdFire microprocessors and the ARM microprocessors however they all are made for specific development boards. (Looked into uClinux the most). Is it possible (without several hours of work) to modify them to work in a custom design? I can't use pre-made boards because my design must be very small.

I like the upper end ColdFire chips because they have a built in Ethernet PHY and MAC saving space by not needing another chip for that.

Any tips on processors to look at? Any tips on linux ports to look at?

Reply to
chris.davenport

You lost me on most of your post,(I'm a failed 8051 git) but have a look at the Xport from

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I doubt it. I really doubt you can get uCLinux running on a custom platform without spending several hours on the project. I would guess you'll have to spend a minimum of week or two to get uCLinux running on a custom target.

Of course, the same is going to be true for any OS capable of running a web server. Still, you might want to take a look at more lightweight options such as eCos

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My BIOLOGICAL ALARM
                                  at               CLOCK just went off... It
                               visi.com            has noiseless DOZE FUNCTION
                                                   and full kitchen!!
Reply to
Grant Edwards

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Atmel do it on an 8051......!!! They also have a HW TCP/IP stack as well if the FREE software one does not do what you need...

IT depends how much you want to do. There are quite a few systems (like EMIT) that do not need an OS let alone one as large as Linux.

Regards Chris

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

What sort of throughput do you require? If low throughput is ok (as it is on many embedded systems) then there are a lot of low cost options:

etc. etc.

Reply to
KenS

Yes, I recently bought an embedded web server for

99Euros in a DIL 40 case :

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Here is an http embedded server requiring only a socket library. The source code is provided. You don't need any file system. The test code runs on linux but it should be easy to port it to any rtos that has a tcp ip stack and that supports sockets.

Lanarcam

You might also take a look at the ez80Acclaim! from ZILOG. With their ZTP 1.5.0 they provide a nice TCP/IP stack with e real time kernel. A development kit (EZ80F910100KIT) is offered at a reasonable price of $99 (DigyKey, Mouser, ...). The core module( eZ80F915005MOD) with controller + FLASH, RAM and PHY measures only 4,5 x 5 cm, so it might be small enough to meet your requirements.

Harald

Reply to
Harald Kröll

Take a look at our coldfire solutions.

The lowest cost is the MOD5270

You can start with our modules and if the $59/1K price is too high for production then you can license the IP and build it yourself.

For a completly independant review take a look at the recent electronic design article.

Paul

Reply to
pbreed

As fine board as this is,

is a few bucks cheaper. Only problem is limited number of I/O.

But has anybody experience with the ME? How fast can the ethernet (and total I/O) speed got? I need almost 3 Mbit/s.

--
  @jhol
Reply to

Are you augmenting an existing design, where you just need to add the web / telnet front-end? If so, the Lantronix XPort and Digi ME are a turnkey platform built into an RJ-45 jack - MCU, RAM, Flash, MAC, PHY, crystal, etc. At about $50 ea, there is no smaller solution.

Add one to your board and use either serial or GPIO from the jack to your main MCU. The units can be scripted to front-end a CLI or a basic serial command interface.

However, if you're looking to use this Ethernet MCU as your primary processor, then others are probably better suited.

But consider the total cost involved, including development cost - you may find that a smaller, cheaper primary MCU with one of the Digi or Lantronix is cheaper / simpler overall.

HTH, Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

Take a look at