embedded video?

I need to generate simple NTSC composite video text as a last minute
feature on an 8051 based embedded project. I have found some software
examples but they really chew up CPU time. Does anyone know of a one chip
solution for generating black and white video? I'm picturing something like
a "video UART" which you could spit ascii characters at and let it generate
the composite video, sync etc. I'm probably dreaming.

TIA

Bob

Re: embedded video?
On a sunny day (Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:05:24 GMT) it happened Bob Stephens

Google SAA5246A_CNV_3.pdf
i2c bus interface, will genlock and add your text 25 lines of 40 chars, color.
can run standalone (PLL mode off), 5V, 27 MHz xtal..
If you need drivers see http://www.home.zonnet.nl/panteltje/xkrs /
for some GPL C code.
JP

Re: embedded video?
You could try the BOB-II, which is a small board (30-pin SIMM) which
can be controlled via serial commands from your uC.

I used one once for video overlay, very easy.
I think its capable of 80x40 ascii or something like that, and cost
about $80 as i recall.

It was very quick and easy to start using, just power, serial line and
video out if you dont want to overlay.

http://www.chip-sources.com/products/..%5Cproducts%5Cspecs%5CVideo%20Overlay%20Board.htm

Alex.

Re: embedded video?

http://www.chip-sources.com/products/..%5Cproducts%5Cspecs%5CVideo%20Overlay%20Board.htm

I saw their website. Actually the BOB II is "not recommended for new
designs" it has been supplanted by the BOB III. Unfortunately I need a
surface mount solution.

Bob

Site Timeline