Embedded USB

I'm looking at using the Renesas H8SX1664 processor that has on board usb, and I have a couple of questions.

As a slave: What process do you need to go through to get vendor and product IDs? Are there generic IDs that anyone can use? What approvals are necessary?

As a host: I realise that writing a usb stack isn't trivial, but how easy would it be to write the code for a very limited host that only knew about one type of device?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Dan N

The official way to to pay the USB folks a lot of money to be allocated a VID, from which you can allocate your own PIDs

A rather cheaper alternative is to buy a few PIDs from this guy's allocation:

Of if it's for limited distribution ( i.e. not a mass-market product) you could just make one up.

There are onl ya handful of devices that have the hardware support for USB host. Maxim and Philips do USB host peripherals, but the easiest route for devices supported by it would be this :

Which also has the advantage tha for memory devices it also handles the FAT stuff.

Reply to
Mike Harrison