Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?

we are looking for a easy-to-integrate TTS chip with multilanguage support.
I remember a device called Votrax which was available about 20 years ago.
It took english text as input and generated output suitable to be amplified
and sent to a speaker.

Winbond makes  such a device (WBT701) but they support english only - I
checked with their sales department since they give some hints about
multi-language support on their website.

Any ideas?
Thanks and regards - Roland

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?

There was a cheap set of chips (CT-0256?) that would do English TTS in the
eighties.  One of the chips was a microcontroller that did the text to
phoneme (voice sounds) conversion, so doing other languages would have
been possible.  I don't know if they ever did, but I vaguely think they
might have done French.

Of course (a) that was a long time ago and I doubt anyone makes them any
more, (b) the voice quality isn't that great, unless you want a really
robotic voice.  (I have an old ISA card with them, and like it, but I'm
weird.  I'd get the exact chip numbers, but it's in a box in the basement
right now.  I'll check if you want.)

That part number might lead you to pages that lead you to more recent
chips.

--
Ron Sharp.

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?

Helps if it's the right part number.  I was thinking of the SPO256-AL2 and
CTS256A-AL2.

Huh, sponsored link in Google: http://www.speechchips.com/shop /
--
Ron Sharp.

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?

Thanks a lot!
/Roland

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?

The Winbond WS701 chip has fairly decent quality, and capability of
storing exceptions, ie a dictionary of common hard to pronounce words.
It's phoneme base is English. It is possiblye to produce other
languages, but you would certainly struggle trying to produce any Asian
languages, for example, because the basic phonemes are different.
therefore your results will degrade the further the languages phonetics
diverge from english.

Al

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?

Has anyone here played with the (now) sensory inc.  SC691 slave
synthesyzer ??  How is it ?   The other SC6XX parts need to be mask
programmed I guess so lots have to be purchased in order for those to
be useful.
thanks,

bob

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:36:02 GMT, onestone

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?

Call them and ask for an eval kit. They might even lend it to you for no charge.

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?

I haven't used these chips myself, but I was a somewhat familiar with
the family while TI made them. Their main claim to fame, aside from
low cost in high volumes, was their support for CELP and MELP.
Compressing speech into these formats takes a lot of horsepower, so
good tools are essential. Sensory has apparently renamed these CX and
MX, and I don't know what compression tools they or third parties
offer.

If you, like the OP, want TTS, then AFAIK these chips won't do it.
From Sensory's redundantly-titled "Technical Questions FAQ":

Q. Can any of the Sensory chips perform text-to-speech functions?
A. Not at this time.

Jim McGinnis

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:48:13 -0500, Jim McGinnis

Oops, I just noticed the date of the FAQ is 2/18/00, so it wouldn't
apply to the SC-6XX chips. Even so, I don't think these chips would be
a good choice to do the whole TTS job, although they'd be usable for
the final phoneme synthesis.

Jim McGinnis

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:02:16 -0500, Jim McGinnis

OK then...  Yeah, it seems like a lot of work.  It would be nice if
somebody made one or 2 or a few of the mask ROM versions with a decent
vocabulary, like numbers and letters and some useful words and the
phonemes necessary to do a technical product at least.  You know, with
the words Voltage and temperature and degrees and amps and that kind
of stuff as well as numbers and letters.
I really like the way that the Winbond part works, but that might be
too expensive for a lot of products (like ours)

bob

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?

support.
ago.
amplified

winbond do have a chinese version as well.
http://www.winbond.com/e-winbondhtm/partner/b_2_a_5.htm
http://www.winbond.com/e-winbondhtm/partner/b_2_a_5_a.htm datsheets

Alex

Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?
According to Winbond this is still not available.

Al

Please remove capitalised letters to reply
My apologies for the inconvenience
Re: Embedded Text-To-Speech chip?
Hello,
we produce small board TTS, English & Russian, allophones:
www.sakrament.com .
There is feasible to sale TTS as 'file.obj' for your processor with
allophones' base.
 For small number of phrases maybe use ISD chips.

Cheers

Site Timeline