Embedded Project

I am new to all of this embedded stuff. I am looking for a very small embedded computer that will load Linux and run off some batteries.

Its needs an IDE for a 2.5 Hard Drive or a 1.8 zif and an sd card loader.

I want to move files from the hd to the sd card or del them off the sd but not the hd. Also need a very small lcd screen to see what I am doing.

And a few buttons but first a need the hardware.

Can this be done?

Has this been done?

Thank you

Reply to
armasmike

Sure. All you need is a PC laptop.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

A netbook with Ubuntu loaded could run you under $300

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Have a look at the Gumstix.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

In message , armasmike writes

Linux, IDE hard drives is n embedded.

80%+ embedded systems don't use an RTOS let alone something as large as linux.

You don't need an OS for that. Just a file system.

Look at some of the NXP ARM7 MCU with built in LCD controller (Zoom/logic PD kits)

You won't need a hard disk

See every digitial picture frame.... 100's of them

Chris H

And 90% of a statistics are complete fabrications. :-)

-- Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918

5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460 Kennesaw, GA, USA 30144

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key." "Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1

Reply to
Michael N. Moran

I thought it was 91.34% :-)

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

In message , Anton Erasmus writes

Sloppy work it's 91.338%....

BTW still trying to sort out your compiler.

Chris H

Under normal circumstances, but during elections it is 150% of statistics are pure bunkum.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

That doesn't apply for American elections. There the statistics are

91.33813489% correct - it's the official counts that are pure bunkum...
Reply to
David Brown

Does that include the hanging chads and dimpled chads?

Chris H

I was thinking more of the electronic voting machines, with their accidental or intentional tallying errors. In a number of American elections, statistical estimations based on the exit polls have given more believable results than the official tallies.

Reply to
David Brown

If you want to start a real argument about statistics, raise the subject of accuracy of U.S. census numbers.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Ignoring the noise from the other replies... Look at the Beagle Board. Open source hw design, board is $150 from Digikey and it has linux ports. Not to mention it is a 600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 superscalar processor with a TI 6400 series DSP on board. Look at beagleboard.org.

Cheap, embedded, fun (?)

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

Since I have heard about the beagle board, I have seen no stock anywhere at any time. Digikey does not have stock at this time. Has anyone been able to actually purchase this board ?

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Open

Not to

6400

Is there something the size of a ipod with a sd or micro sd That can transfer files to and from the ipod like hard drive.

Reply to
armasmike

Is it sold anywhere but Digikey? Digikey shows a ship date of

11/30/2008... I guess there are problems with production. The FAQ says something about Digikey not handling partial shipments (I assume they mean from the supplier, not the buyer) so that the inventory does not show up. That seems very odd...

I am impressed with how the project is being run. Although a lot of things are "in the works", the information is amazingly available. Usually it is just the opposite, it is amazingly hard to find info on open source projects.

BTW, one thing I can't find is the Gerber files. I thought I saw a mention about them being available, but no mention of where to get them.

BTW, while digging around, version C of the board will have more functionality working, some of which may be important...

Revision C is same as revision B except:

  • USB HOST (EHCI) will be operational on revision C. * add interface for raw LCDs (mockup) * possibly have 256MB of slightly faster RAM instead of 128MB SDRAM * It will use updated OMAP3 revision. BeagleBoard revision B uses OMAP3 ES 2.1 (engineering sample), while BeagleBoard revision C is supposed to use ES 3.0. OMAP3 ES 3.0 will fix minor issues: o updated ARM Cortex A8 silicon (r1p3) fixing a very rare NEON issue that has not been seen in real code

Note: Revision C is expected Q1 2009. There are some early revision C prototypes out there, but they still seem to have USB host issue.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:50:16 -0800, armasmike wrote (in article ):

Beagle seems to have Linux sort of working but not quite.

The FriendlyARM Mini2440 is 400 MHz and 10x10cm (king size cigarette) and the Linux drivers and Qtopia work for everything including several LCD sizes and standard camera input. Comes with source and images ready to load. Look here for specs.

or just search ARM9 on eBay. He has a good price of $140 with shipping, I have them at $149 + $8 shipping and English versions of most docs and apps. If I ever figure out all the CSS and PHP and templates and themes, you will be able to see them on andahammer.com

-- Charlie Springer

Reply to
Charlie Springer

.

Not

6400

nsfer

the

and

ere

ols?h

3A2%7C65%3A

s.

ll

Bizarre, I was using WiFi at Paneras and andahammer.com is blocked by sonicwall.com because of "weapons"! I submitted a request for review.

Do you know what that is all about?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Depending on the strictness of the filter, it might make sense. Archived material from the site would show that I used it for an organic rust remover used by law enforcement to clean rusted guns without destroying serial numbers, or anything else - iron oxide is the only thing it will touch. I also had a similar product described in detail for carbon and fouling removal from black powder arms but it is bought almost exclusively by the US Army for cleaning those organ pipe firing simulators you see mounted on tanks. They use a black powder charge and this stuff saves them a lot of time.

They both have very low civilian sales so I offered the site and host when we decided to launch the ARM board business, which is something I have been thinking about for at least 10 years.

-- Charlie Springer

Reply to
Charlie Springer