embedded programming - where to begin

If I am interested in learning more about embedded programming(with C) where would be a good place to start?

Reply to
Mantorok Redgormor

Programming Embedded Systems in C and C ++ by Micheal Barr

Reply to
Jamie

"Jamie" wrote in news:J%hhb.5192$G snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Being partial to the 8051 I'd add, "C and the 8051" by Schultz

- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

In article , Mantorok Redgormor writes

Http:\\quest.phaedsys.org

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

You probably want to start where you are: what background and experience do you have that lends itself to embedded systems. Then you need to find out where you want to go: what types of applications do you want to work on, and what are the hardware targets that support those applications.

Once you know these two points, it is a lot easier to plot a path from the first to the second. But be aware that your destination may not be what you envision today. Change is a constant in this field, and you may change your direction several times as you learn more about the work and yourself.

Bob McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell

Checkout the following URL:

Sandeep

EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Sequence Diagrams and Use Cases in PDF

Reply to
Sandeep

I would suggest beginning with an embedded programming language, 'C' isn't. Try Assembler, Basic or Forth.

-- Regards, Albert

---------------------------------------------------------------------- AM Research, Inc. The Embedded Systems Experts

(916) 780-7623

Albert Lee Mitchell

You little troll, you :)

Many years ago I recall hearing C described as "high level assembler" - I would tend to agree with that definition.

Mike Harding

Reply to
Mike Harding

But not C++.

Warning about Forth: if you really learn Forth, you will never learn another language. Soon you will be looking for hats with little solar-powered propellers on top.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Try Assembler then C

Basic is not used (seriously) in embedded except by a very small number. You will not find many basic tools. (C on the other hand has tools at all levels for all processors)

Forth is a very good language. Howerver it is a bity of a niche language. Again it suffers from a lack of tools for all targets.

Learn Assembler to start, then C ( as a high level assembler).

After that you will be able to descide if you need C++, EC++, Forth, Ada or, god help me, Win CE....

The jobs are in C. OK so there are some in forth and other languages but I would suggest learning the portable mainstream skills first. You might never come across a project that requires forth, basic, modula 2, Occam but be prepared to learn them when you do.

Which assembler? Personally I woudl suggest 8051 as it is very common (most common?) almost any of the 500+ varients form the 40+ vendors would do. There are free/cheap entry level tools and dev kits.

There is some free 8051 assemblers on my web site

Otherwise there are the 8 bit motorola parts, PIC and AVR.

Good luck

Chris /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

Reply to
Chris Hills

"All the power of assembler combined with the ease of assembler"

Forth Learn IF Hat THEN ? uh-oh.

--
Ron Sharp.
Reply to