embedded programming books

Hi:
I recently graduated from college with a BS in Computer Science; I'm also
looking for a job :-)). During my college years I got interested on embedded
programming but took only one course, and didn't really have the time to
focus or get into more detail on the subject. Can anyone with considerably
experience in the field, give  a list of some good embedded programming
books.

Thanks in advance.

Re: embedded programming books

I can give you no better advice than to buy MY book ;)

Seriously, what is your specific field of interest? There's an awful lot of
ground to cover. Are you working towards some specific goal- e.g. complex
Linux-based embedded systems, telecommunications systems, tiny
process-control systems, video games, ...?

Re: embedded programming books
To be honest I don't know, but I would like to focus on something that will
give a better change of  landing a job in the embedded field.

considerably
of

Re: embedded programming books
will

A good low cost way to get your feet wet, so to speak, might be the AVR
Butterfly:
"AVR Butterfly is an evaluation tool demonstrating the capabilities of the
latest AVR Technology. The tool is shipped with preloaded firmware
supporting temperature sensing, light measurement, voltage readings and
music playback. AVR Butterfly can also be used as a nametag. AVR Butterfly
can be reprogrammed from AVR Studio using just a serial cable. This allows
the tool to be used as a development kit for the onboard mega169, or even as
target hardware for simple applications."

Note that AVR studio can be downloaded free of charge from:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id27%25

You can modify and download the supplied software to get a feel for working
with embedded systems, without spending a whole lotta money.

Descriptions of the Butterfly and the on-board ATmega169 can be found by
searching the ATMEL site at:
http://www.atmel.com/

The board costs US$19 from:
http://buy.allamerican.com/atmelmcu.html

General AVR support is available from:
http://www.avrfreaks.com /

I hope that is of some help.

Tanya

Re: embedded programming books
Lewin

I bought your book.  It just arrived today. Look forward
to reading it.

From a marketing standpoint, you might want to
consider a name change however.  Branding is
very important these days.

To that end , I propose that you change your
name to:

Lewin A.R.M. Edwards.

Re: embedded programming books

Thanks :)

I note that the vanity plate "ARM7TDMI" is not yet taken in New York State.
When I get the damn paperwork from my leasing company to re-register the car
i NYS, I'll be giving that plate serious thought. Will that do? :)

--
-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (http://www.zws.com /)
Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!

Not a book, but better in some ways. You might be interested in taking
my web-based training course on Real-Time Fundamentals. There are
extensive, full colour, layered graphics that walk you through various
concepts. The students really enjoy them and you can't get that in a
book.

Each learning method has its pros and cons, of course, but you can view
the Introduction section for free and download an example of the layered
graphics.

Visit the link below if you're interested.

...Tom

--
Remove "SpamMeNot-" from address if responding via email.

Tom Sheppard
Re: embedded programming books

Would be helpful to know what that course did cover. For a raw "software only"
beginner, I like two titles from O'Reilly: "Programming Embedded Systems with
C/C++" and "Designing Embedded Hardware". The former covers area where embedded
programming are different from regular desktop programming. The latter covers
hardware basics that an embedded systems programmer should know.

As someone else mentioned, another important thing to do is to get yourself an
evaluation/demo board of a microcontroller and start messing with it. I think
Zilog still has their eZ8 eval board for $50. It's a great deal as the board
comes with some peripherals on it and also comes with a C compiler. I don't
think the eZ8 is all that popular now though. Other popular smaller
microcontrollers are 8051 (see Cygnal, Dallas, Phillips, Atmel), AVR (Atmel),
PIC (Microchip Technology), 68HC08 (Motorola), 68HC11/12 (Motorola), ARM (Atmel
among others). Look at the company websites and price out the eval boards.

Re: embedded programming books
Two books that I found great are:

"The Art of Designing Embedded Systems" by Jack Ganssle

and

"MicroC/OS-II, The Real-Time Kernel" by Jean Labrosse

The former is a compilation of musings ranging from hardware to
software to dealing with designers.  The later focuses on uC/OS, but
will give you a good understanding of how all embedded RTOS's work,
plus it shows overall good code design (however, I wish there were
more embedded comments).

Re: embedded programming books
Thanks for all your comments, I will check out some of the books you
suggested. I've read "programming and customizing the 8051 microcontroller"
from Predko, which was very interesting.

embedded

Site Timeline