Embedded PC Operating system

Hi all,

We are choosing an embedded PC with mid-small form factors which will need a24V supply.

We wish to get up and running quickly and will use boards/cards with MS certification

Application will be VB6 with a few text files and a few jpg files. 50~100 megabytes.

  1. Which Operating system

Lynix Windows CE Embedded XP

Which would you choose and why

  1. Power Supply

We have 24V from the internals of a truck and the embedded PC will have 24V Dc input.

What would you recommend for spike protection , filtering etc.

How would you add battery backup?

How would you detect major supply failure and advise the embedded system to save files and close.

Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

Regards Joseph

Reply to
Joseph Goldburg

Linux would be my favourite. Rock solid and proven to be able to run for years without reboots. But the VB6 application would rule out linux and throw you back to MS stuff.

24V

I would use a 24V-24V DC/DC converter. The type that accepts anything between say 15 - 30 V and turns it into clean 24V. Off the shelf-product.

Add a battery before the DC/DC converter and separate it from the main 24V with a power diode.

With some device that measures the input voltage to the DC/DC converter and signal the OS to shut down. Standard feature in linux.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

In my experience a diode isolated battery backup is essential as I have seen the main Truck supply drop to some 2V while the engie was being cranked. This totally screwed the DC-DC converter which produced all sorts of strange voltages on its output.

Dont forget a charger for the backup battery.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Okey

No need for a separate charger. Use the setup used in boats: the generator output goes to a battery isolator (actually two schottky diodes). Both batteries are connected to an output each on the isolator.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Have you seen our newest product, the Thin Client?

The system embeds a Mini-ITX board that can run all Linux or Windows along with a 8 - 30V DC voltage regulator which might prove useful in this application. There is an option to run (2) 6V supplies (batteries) in series, too.

Good luck, Brian

Reply to
Brian