Embedded networking - book recomendations.

Hello,

I am thinking about taking a look at networking an eight bit
micro (Atmel AVR). Can anyone recommend a decent book on this
subject - covering ethernet, tcp/ip etc. One that covers the
fundamentals of networking and has a microcontroller slant.
I have very little network knowledge at the moment.

What would the best way to get the hardware going-
buy a plug on pcb that has a ethernet controller and RJ45 or
try and use an old 8 bit ISA network card ?

Thanks,

Colin

Re: Embedded networking - book recomendations.

Take a look at ethernut  www.ethernut.de
see the adapted isa card.

http://www.lvr.com/eec.htm
http://www.lvr.com/ethernet.htm

also www.edtp.com
I've got a copy of his book but haven't had the time
to properly go through it.

Have a look on avr freaks as well. www.avrfreaks.com

http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/links.html
http://www.embedded-creations.com/projects/uipAVR.html

http://www.beyondlogic.org/etherip/ip.htm
http://www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/0602/fred143/3.htm
http://www.hwgroup.cz /
http://www.omegav.ntnu.no/~jonah/el/avri.html
http://www.avr1.org/eavr/eavr.html
http://www.embeddedethernet.com /
http://www.stelioscellar.com/links/pages/User_Pages/Ethernet_and_TCP-IP /
http://webs.cs.berkeley.edu/tos/ for wireless
(These guys appear to be looking for a programmer).

HTH

Alex Gibson

Re: Embedded networking - book recomendations.

"TCP/IP Lean" by Jeremy Bentham.

--

John Devereux

Re: Embedded networking - book recomendations.

Not for AVR, but take a look here:

http://www.ibutton.com/TINI /

Good luck,

Mostafa

Re: Embedded networking - book recomendations.

Start with project boards from http://www.EDTP.com , then expand to
rolling your own.  Choose from 3 Ethernet controllers and at least a
couple microcontroller vendors.

http://www.ethernut.de offers open-source software and hardware designs
for an AVR-based Ethernet system.  They also offer ready-built boards.

Fred Eady (who runs EDTP) also has an article from ~October 2002 in
http://www.circuitcellar.com using the AVR STK board and an ASIX
10/100.  He's recently written a book, which I haven't read yet (but
plan to) - based on his writings and work to-date, I'd give it high odds
of being good.  Jeremy Bentham's TCP/IP Lean is a good book, with some
excellent techniques for compact coding of dynamic HTML content and
other creative solutions.

If you want to breadboard your own AVR, check out http://picoweb.net for
an excellent breadboard project that uses NE2000-based NIC cards instead
of chips.

A terrific reference for AVR in general is http://www.avrfreaks.net .  A
good starter is the Getting Started with AVR download at
http://www.dvanhorn.org/AvrSoftware/ - it's loaded with default
initialization code for some AVRs to help get you started.

Have a blast!

Site Timeline