Embedded networking - book recomendations.

Hello,

I am thinking about taking a look at networking an eight bit micro (Atmel AVR). Can anyone recommend a decent book on this subject - covering ethernet, tcp/ip etc. One that covers the fundamentals of networking and has a microcontroller slant. I have very little network knowledge at the moment.

What would the best way to get the hardware going- buy a plug on pcb that has a ethernet controller and RJ45 or try and use an old 8 bit ISA network card ?

Thanks,

Colin

Reply to
Colin MacDougall

Take a look at ethernut

see the adapted isa card.

also

I've got a copy of his book but haven't had the time to properly go through it.

Have a look on avr freaks as well.

for wireless (These guys appear to be looking for a programmer).

HTH

Alex Gibson

Reply to
Alex Gibson

"TCP/IP Lean" by Jeremy Bentham.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Not for AVR, but take a look here:

Good luck,

Mostafa

Reply to
Mostafa Kassem

Start with project boards from

then expand to rolling your own. Choose from 3 Ethernet controllers and at least a couple microcontroller vendors.

offers open-source software and hardware designs for an AVR-based Ethernet system. They also offer ready-built boards.

Fred Eady (who runs EDTP) also has an article from ~October 2002 in

using the AVR STK board and an ASIX

10/100. He's recently written a book, which I haven't read yet (but plan to) - based on his writings and work to-date, I'd give it high odds of being good. Jeremy Bentham's TCP/IP Lean is a good book, with some excellent techniques for compact coding of dynamic HTML content and other creative solutions.

If you want to breadboard your own AVR, check out

for an excellent breadboard project that uses NE2000-based NIC cards instead of chips.

A terrific reference for AVR in general is

A good starter is the Getting Started with AVR download at
- it's loaded with default initialization code for some AVRs to help get you started.

Have a blast!

Reply to
Richard