Embedded NBNS

Hi All,

Can anyone help with some tips / pointers on how to implement something in a small embedded ethernet module so that windows machines can see this device as a named device?

We have tried to implement NBNS, but either we did not get it right, or it is not quite the right solution.

The unit works fine with fixed ip e.g. 192.168.0.123, but we would like to be be able to telnet / ping etc to my.device from windows and also see the device in explorer.

Regards Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

You are mixing up name services badly.

ping and telnet use the internet name space. Enter the device's ip address into your dns server oder the machine's host file (%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts), and you are done.

Windows file and printer sharing use the netbios name space, i.e. nbns. This makes only sense if your device does communicate via netbios and/or implement SMB file/printer sharing. If it doesn't, leave it out.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

What we are trying to achieve is a simple solution for logging data in a company. The idea is that a 'low level' service person can simply plug in the device and it will use DHCP to pick up an IP address from the local server or ADSL router. Because this IP address will vary and because we don't want to have the unit stop working when the IT department in this company change things we had hoped that this unit could broadcast or in some other way communicate its name in the same way windows machines do, so we would just point the logged at the "name.device" and it would connect.

BTW - I am out of the office but I am almost sure that you can just ping a peer computer in a windows network using the 'computer name'. When I get back I will check this.

Regards Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Yes, but he can use NetBIOS services to find the IP address of a machine, and thereafter use non-SMB protocols to actually access that machine. You can do this in Windows: if you have a machine on your network with a NetBIOS name of "fred", you can open a command prompt and "ftp fred".

If it worked, UPnP would be the answer to this type of problem; as it doesn't, it isn't.

Reply to
larwe