embedded linux on PowerPC (440GP)

I am using an embedded Linux and in order to read the MAC address, I need to have the I2C driver loaded before the network driver.

How do you change the order in which the drivers are loaded?

Below you can see the I2C driver core driver is loaded first then the specific instance for each I2C adapter after eth0/eth1 are initialized.

From the screen:

i2c-core.o: i2c core module i2c-dev.o: i2c /dev entries driver module i2c-core.o: driver i2c-dev dummy driver registered. i2c-proc.o version 2.6.1 (20010825) pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI enabled ttyS00 at 0xfdfeb200 (irq = 0) is a 16550A ttyS01 at 0xfdfea300 (irq = 1) is a 16550A eth0: Phy @ 0x7, type BCM5221 (0x004061e4) Reset ethernet interfaces eth1: Phy @ 0x17, type BCM5221 (0x004061e4) Reset ethernet interfaces IBM IIC driver i2c-dev.o: Registered 'IBM IIC adapter' as minor 0 i2c-core.o: adapter IBM IIC adapter registered as adapter 0. i2c-dev.o: Registered 'IBM IIC adapter' as minor 1 i2c-core.o: adapter IBM IIC adapter registered as adapter 1.

Thanks

Reply to
Renaud Barbier

Depends. On a lot of things. Like the Linux distribution you're using, whether you're using kernel modules or not, and if so, which of the drivers in question are modules and which aren't. And on the way these module loads are triggered: indirectly through the module-autoloader and /etc/modules.conf, or explicitly by calling modprobe from inside some boot/init script...

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Renaud ,

Did you happen to do the setup for the SDRAM on your board? I'd like to ask you about the DDR config if you did.

Regards, james

Reply to
james