Embedded linux

Hello,

I am working on a VoIP related embedded project. Our aim is to build a cheap IP phone and ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter). To be honest I don't have much experience with embedded systems, and no expericente with embedded OS, like embedded linux.

I would like your help on the following subjects, if possible. Any help is apreciated.

1- How can I know if a microprocessos is compatible with embedded linux? I could not found mych informatio about this. I would like to know if this or that product from atmel, freescale or texas instrument is compatible with embedded linux.

2- There are many versions os embedded linux out there. How can I choose the most apropriated for my project? I believe the most important features that I need is a TCP/IP stack with SIP and RTP stack also.

Thank you for any help.

Reply to
Uderman

In article , Uderman writes

As you are producing a commercial product what are rate are you looking to pay for this consultancy?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

Is this project just for fun, for education, or for a company?

You may find it useful to get an evaluation board from the chip manufacturer, which should include all the necessary hardware (processor, RAM, flash, analog converters), and a ported Linux to play with.

Reply to
Daniel Engeler

Then I suggest that you grab a good book on embedded Linux and/or embedded systems development in general. "Embedded Linux Primer" by Hallinan could be a good start.

hth,

-boris

--
Boris Kolpackov
Code Synthesis Tools CC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Boris Kolpackov

well, firstly you have to choose a development board I think. after that choosing a OS is very easy. Also some boards come with embedded linux installed. Your criteria should be determined according to your application. there is a wide market for development boards. you can google "embedded linux, development board, VoIP" etc...

Sincerely.

Reply to
bohemistanbul

Find a platform that is supported by a large community. Porting linux to an embedded platform is not trivial, so you don't want something where there are only a few people working on it.

You might find this url interesting:

Dan

Reply to
Dan N

All AT91 parts containing ARM926EJ-S and ARM920T cores are compatible with embedded linux and most of the existing drivers are inside the recent 2.6.21.1 kernel. All AT32AP7xxx AVR32 parts is supported by embedded linux and again, most drivers available are present in linux-2.6.21.1.

There is no support for Atmel AT91 ARM7 in the linux kernel and while a uClinux port is viable, the ARM9s are so cheap that it is not a good idea to pursue that direction.

There is no support for AT32uC3xxx parts in the linux kernel.

Atmel has some non-MMU AT76Cxxx parts which has uClinux support, but if you have info of these parts you should also have the right contact to ask the question directly.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson