Embedded engineer needed for simple device...

We are looking for someone to help put together a prototype device. I basicly know which components are needed but have no idea on putting them together. Someday I'll get around to taking some electronics studies.

First...if I've posted this in the wrong newsgroup...sorry...please let me know of a more appropriate one.

The device goes like this:

1) Two thermal couple sensors are used as input 2) A microprocessor takes the analog input and converts to digital data 3) Bluetooth component sends data to bluetooth equipped PC for all processing and display. 4) Power comes from either 9v battery or better yet a rechargeable battery such as in a cordless phone.

That's it in a nutshell. The device just needs to pass the data to a regular PC...it doesn't have to do any of the heavy lifting.

I've found a bunch of Thermo Couples (need to do more research to target a specific one in terms of sensitivity). I've found a few bluetooth stack components and PC dongles to make up the serial connection.

I'm a bit stuck on the Microprocessor component although I've found quite a few promising candidates. I'm just not sure about processing power and UART connections.

I'd like the final device to be the size and feel of your run of the mill cordless phone. I can take care of the housing...just need help with the electronics to put into it.

I have a real good idea on the component cost, now I need a good idea on having someone put it together.

If you are interested, email me at chrisATcsmediapro.com

We are a small, self-funded startup but will come up with the cash for someone similar or someone doing moonlighting work.

Look forward to feedback.

Reply to
Scarfie

Firstly which doamin are you? Your posting uses a VALID domain of mediapro.com (a company in Washington state) and your email address later refers to csmediapro.com (a company in North Carolina). I cannot directly see what either company would be doing with a device as described below.

That counts me out as somebody who does not state where they are, and creates 'designs' by picking components not working out a specification is a recipe for disaster and forcing 'a quart into a pint pot'.

Depending on what you are measuring and costs, thermocouples may not be the ideal solution.

The specification should say how long the battery has to last as this has a HUGE impact on the design.

You should be specifying what temperature range you require and getting somebody who understands the design process and the environment from the specification to find the correct temperature sensing device. Similarly they may know or be able to find better ways than what you have found of doing bluetooth.

There are hundreds, capable of doing this job, but without a specification including target costings and performance of the system you are doing this back to front.

A good Project manager would be a better start.

If that is your real email address, stop using somebody elses domain name in your news postings as the From: address as I am sure they will be glad to receive all the replies.

Also if csmediapro.com is your doamin the web site joins the "Web pages that suck" hall of fame for unreadability. The colour scheme alone makes a lot of the writing unreadable, and has obviously only been tested on one browser on one machine, without regard to download time amongst many other things.

Work today, maybe jam tomorrow.

Considering how you are going about this, the perception I get is that you come across as yet another 'great idea' that is badly managed I see every month, that will never succeed. Along with all the perfect mousetrap scenarios in zero development time I see.

The project looks doomed from the outset.

--
Paul Carpenter		| paul@pcserv.demon.co.uk
        Main Site

paul$@pcserv.demon.co.uk (Paul Carpenter) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pcserv.demon.co.uk:

You're flaming me because of the wrong email. I apologize...I'm using a new newsreader and made a typo in the setup option. Should be OK now. The domain is csmediapro.com. I actually want people to respond. What exactly we're doing with a device like this is something that does not need to be divulged at this point.

North Carolina, USA is the location. I'll have a full spec workup for whomever does the job. Sorry we won't be working together, you sound like such a jolly fellow.

I will provide temperature requirements. If someone has a better and less expensive way of doing the sensing and wireless, I'm all ears. That's why I want to hire an engineer that knows about these things. I know just enough to be dangerous.

From the ground up is more like it. Again, detailed specs will be provided.

I'm perfectly capable unless working with someone who only wants to offer snide remarks.

I think it looks kind of cool.

Agreed.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Reply to
Scarfie

USENET groups are usually not appr> Paul Carpenter wrote:

Shockwave Flash animations are not inherently evil, but using them for site navigation is. Its use makes what little content your website has difficult to access and is the very anti-thesis of your slogan, "Professional Polished Media". The W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines are available at

.

--
Wishing you good fortune,
--Robin Kay-- (komadori)

While I think Paul was a bit unreasonable in most of his post, I have to agree here - your web page looks awful, with an illegible colour scheme and a PITA flash gimick on the front page, and it sizes badly in Opera. I don't know what you are selling, as I can't be bothered trying to re-arrange the styles to be legible, but I hope it is not your web design skills or asthetic design sense!

Good luck with the device you are trying to build.

Reply to
David Brown

It does not come across well, when differing domains are used.

It is also potentially discourteous to other domain holders, getting unwanted email.

It was an observation, not saying what you should or should not do.

An observation based on years of experience. Anyway I have had enough of pond hopping/commuting.

Where I have heard that before? Perhaps even thought of some managers..

My observations are based on your style of posting.

How often I have heard that, darker blues against a black background tend to blur to a lot of people. The colour choice is nearly unreadable to large groups of people, and the tiny size of the windows let alone the download time means lots of people will give up with a 'click of death'. I think you ought to look at the site from another machine by a dialup modem.

--
Paul Carpenter		| paul@pcserv.demon.co.uk
        Main Site
             For those web sites you hate.
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

O.K., O.K. - I think this whole thread would be better off in the HTML for Dummies News Group. All advice on website sizing and color schemes is heeded.

This whole thread is doing no one any good here. Sorry for starting it.

I don't use Usenet very often and one statement is clear:

USENET groups are usually not appropriate forums for job postings.

I'll check out Moonlighting sites and try from there.

Reply to
Scarfie

I agree. Why do people think it is smart for a page to take over a minute to load? I hate flash.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Usenet is full of people who seem to get great joy from berating others. You got your message out and if there is anyone here interested they will probably contact you. Just remember to try and keep a thick skin when using Usenet. BTW, set a display monitor to

1600x1200 to test the legibility of your web pages.
Reply to
FLY135

Actually, IIRC, there was a guy looking for such a job posting here a few days ago. The guy was look for work, paid or volunteer(read as unpaid). That guy, if you're reading this, I'd respond.

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

FAQs about me:
Is this related to homework?
Definately not
Are you and undergrad?
Yes
Are you looking for work and do you want to work for us?
Yes, but only if it pays.
Are you insane?
No, not at the moment.
Reply to
Wing Fong Wong

When your belly is empty, any forum is appropriate for a job posting.

Reply to
DM McGowan II

and

don't

Perhaps the site was designed for their customers and not embedded engineers wearing their, browser from Venus, Web Hat.

Reply to
DM McGowan II
[... Scarfie wrote, about his own web site...]

With all this discussion, I just had to go see it. ;-)

Scarfie is right, it looks cool.

David is right. It's unusable. At least for this nearsighted year old software engineer with a 19 inch screen at a resolution 1600x1200 running Opera 6. My biggest problems were the colors (Remember Kenny Wayne Shepard's "Blue on Black:" "Don't mean much..."), compounded by the size (tiny tiny) and the fact that some of the buttons didn't seem to do anything (unintuitive user interface).

But I'm probably not the target customer. Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Hopefully you know by now how crappy your website looks. It definitely puts the lie to your proclaimed skills, I'd change that as a first step.

With regard to your 'project', you are a self professed newbie to news groups, thus it should pay you to listen to advice given here. There are dozens of "work now pay later" 'jobs' offered here every week, the vast majority go ignored or attract no positive interest. Refusing to give critical technical detail up front is a sure way to chase away anyone who might be interested. Any engineer worth hiring would not accept any kind of deal without having all the technical details first, it's a recipre for certain disaster. Remember, you are asking peopel who've never met you, that are typically highly skilled, to put their faith in your ability to make a success of a new product, in an arena you have little knowledge of. A big ask, at least have the common courtesy to let them know what they might be getting into. Tony Hill was asking for work on spec in this Ng a few days ago. It so happens that I have some spare hardware that may be useful, ie pre-built boards designed to measure and communicate temperature data to a PC up to 50mtr away using RF (but not bluetooth), you may then be able to convince Tony to write the code for you. The first steps if you are interested would be to provide complete details of what you want to measure, how often, with what accuracy (be realistic), if my parts are suitable it may be able to go from there. They are credit card sized, run from a rechargable battery, and typically would last years on 1 charge.

Al

Scarfie wrote:

--
Please remove capitalised letters to reply
My apologies for the inconvenience