Embedded engineer needed for simple device...

We are looking for someone to help put together a prototype device.  I
basicly know which components are needed but have no idea on putting
them together.  Someday I'll get around to taking some electronics
studies.

First...if I've posted this in the wrong newsgroup...sorry...please let
me know of a more appropriate one.

The device goes like this:

1) Two thermal couple sensors are used as input
2) A microprocessor takes the analog input and converts to digital data
3) Bluetooth component sends data to bluetooth equipped PC for all
processing and display.
4) Power comes from either 9v battery or better yet a rechargeable
battery such as in a cordless phone.

That's it in a nutshell.  The device just needs to pass the data to a
regular PC...it doesn't have to do any of the heavy lifting.

I've found a bunch of Thermo Couples (need to do more research to target
a specific one in terms of sensitivity).  I've found a few bluetooth
stack components and PC dongles to make up the serial connection.

I'm a bit stuck on the Microprocessor component although I've found
quite a few promising candidates.  I'm just not sure about processing
power and UART connections.

I'd like the final device to be the size and feel of your run of the
mill cordless phone.  I can take care of the housing...just need help
with the electronics to put into it.

I have a real good idea on the component cost, now I need a good idea on
having someone put it together.

If you are interested, email me at chrisATcsmediapro.com

We are a small, self-funded startup but will come up with the cash for
someone similar or someone doing moonlighting work.

Look forward to feedback.

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...
On Wednesday, in article

Firstly which doamin are you? Your posting uses a VALID domain of
mediapro.com (a company in Washington state) and your email address
later refers to csmediapro.com (a company in North Carolina).
I cannot directly see what either company would be doing with a device
as described below.

That counts me out as somebody who does not state where they are, and
creates 'designs' by picking components not working out a specification
is a recipe for disaster and forcing 'a quart into a pint pot'.

Depending on what you are measuring and costs, thermocouples may not be
the ideal solution.

The specification should say how long the battery has to last as this has
a HUGE impact on the design.

You should be specifying what temperature range you require and getting
somebody who understands the design process and the environment from
the specification to find the correct temperature sensing device. Similarly
they may know or be able to find better ways than what you have found of
doing bluetooth.

There are hundreds, capable of doing this job, but without a specification
including target costings and performance of the system you are doing this
back to front.

A good Project manager would be a better start.

If that is your real email address, stop using somebody elses domain name
in your news postings as the From: address as I am sure they will be
glad to receive all the replies.

Also if csmediapro.com is your doamin the web site joins the
"Web pages that suck" hall of fame for unreadability. The colour scheme
alone makes a lot of the writing unreadable, and has obviously only
been tested on one browser on one machine, without regard to download
time amongst many other things.

Work today, maybe jam tomorrow.

Considering how you are going about this, the perception I get is that you
come across as yet another 'great idea' that is badly managed I see every
month, that will never succeed. Along with all the perfect mousetrap
scenarios in zero development time I see.

The project looks doomed from the outset.

--
Paul Carpenter        | snipped-for-privacy@pcserv.demon.co.uk
<http://www.pcserv.demon.co.uk/ Main Site

You're flaming me because of the wrong email.  I apologize...I'm using a
new newsreader and made a typo in the setup option.  Should be OK now.  The
domain is csmediapro.com.  I actually want people to respond.  What exactly
we're doing with a device like this is something that does not need to be
divulged at this point.

North Carolina, USA is the location.  I'll have a full spec workup for
whomever does the job.  Sorry we won't be working together, you sound like
such a jolly fellow.

I will provide temperature requirements.  If someone has a better and less
expensive way of doing the sensing and wireless, I'm all ears.  That's why
I want to hire an engineer that knows about these things.  I know just
enough to be dangerous.

From the ground up is more like it.  Again, detailed specs will be
provided.

I'm perfectly capable unless working with someone who only wants to offer
snide remarks.

I think it looks kind of cool.

Agreed.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...

USENET groups are usually not appropriate forums for job postings.

Shockwave Flash animations are not inherently evil, but using them for
site navigation is. Its use makes what little content your website has
difficult to access and is the very anti-thesis of your slogan,
"Professional Polished Media". The W3C's Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines are available at http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/ .

--
Wishing you good fortune,
--Robin Kay-- (komadori)

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...

When your belly is empty, any forum is appropriate for a job posting.

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...

<snip>

While I think Paul was a bit unreasonable in most of his post, I have to
agree here - your web page looks awful, with an illegible colour scheme and
a PITA flash gimick on the front page, and it sizes badly in Opera.  I don't
know what you are selling, as I can't be bothered trying to re-arrange the
styles to be legible, but I hope it is not your web design skills or
asthetic design sense!

Good luck with the device you are trying to build.

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...
and
don't

Perhaps the site was designed for their customers and not embedded engineers
wearing their, browser from Venus, Web Hat.

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...

[... Scarfie wrote, about his own web site...]

With all this discussion, I just had to go see it.  ;-)

Scarfie is right, it looks cool.

David is right.  It's unusable.  At least for this nearsighted
<mumblemumble> year old software engineer with a 19 inch screen at a
resolution 1600x1200 running Opera 6.  My biggest problems were the
colors (Remember Kenny Wayne Shepard's "Blue on Black:" "Don't mean
much..."), compounded by the size (tiny tiny) and the fact that some
of the buttons didn't seem to do anything (unintuitive user
interface).

But I'm probably not the target customer.  Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...
On Thursday, in article

It does not come across well, when differing domains are used.

It is also potentially discourteous to other domain holders, getting unwanted
email.

It was an observation, not saying what you should or should not do.

An observation based on years of experience. Anyway I have had enough of
pond hopping/commuting.

Where I have heard that before? Perhaps even thought of some managers..

My observations are based on your style of posting.

How often I have heard that, darker blues against a black background
tend to blur to a lot of people. The colour choice is nearly unreadable
to large groups of people, and the tiny size of the windows let alone the
download time means lots of people will give up with a 'click of death'.
I think you ought to look at the site from another machine by a dialup
modem.

--
Paul Carpenter        | snipped-for-privacy@pcserv.demon.co.uk
<http://www.pcserv.demon.co.uk/ Main Site
Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...
O.K., O.K. - I think this whole thread would be better off in the HTML for
Dummies News Group.  All advice on website sizing and color schemes is
heeded.

This whole thread is doing no one any good here.  Sorry for starting it.

I don't use Usenet very often and one statement is clear:

USENET groups are usually not appropriate forums for job postings.

I'll check out Moonlighting sites and try from there.

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Usenet is full of people who seem to
get great joy from berating others.  You got your message out and if there
is anyone here interested they will probably contact you.  Just remember to
try and keep a thick skin when using Usenet.  BTW, set a display monitor to
1600x1200 to test the legibility of your web pages.

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...
Actually, IIRC, there was a guy looking for such a job posting here a few days
ago. The guy was look for work, paid or volunteer(read as unpaid). That guy, if
you're reading this, I'd respond.
--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...

I agree.  Why do people think it is smart for a page to take over a minute
to load?  I hate flash.

Ian

Re: Embedded engineer needed for simple device...
Hopefully you know by now how crappy your website looks. It definitely
puts the lie to your proclaimed skills, I'd change that as a first step.

With regard to your 'project', you are a self professed newbie to news
groups, thus it should pay you to listen to advice given here. There are
dozens of "work now pay later" 'jobs' offered here every week, the vast
majority go ignored or attract no positive interest. Refusing to give
critical technical detail up front is a sure way to chase away anyone
who might be interested. Any engineer worth hiring would not accept any
kind of deal without having all the technical details first, it's a
recipre for certain disaster. Remember, you are asking peopel who've
never met you, that are typically highly skilled, to put their faith in
your ability to make a success of a new product, in an arena you have
little knowledge of. A big ask, at least have the common courtesy to let
them know what they might be getting into. Tony Hill was asking for work
on spec in this Ng a few days ago. It so happens that I have some spare
hardware that may be useful, ie pre-built boards designed to measure and
communicate temperature data to a PC up to 50mtr away using RF (but not
bluetooth), you may then be able to convince Tony to write the code for
you. The first steps if you are interested would be to provide complete
details of what you want to measure, how often, with what accuracy (be
realistic), if my parts are suitable it may be able to go from there.
They are credit card sized, run from a rechargable battery, and
typically would last years on 1 charge.

Al

Please remove capitalised letters to reply
My apologies for the inconvenience