Embedded Development Tools

Hello,

Here is our web site

for your reference and I am very happy to assist you on your project. Please feel free to contact me for your any question about our products as well as service.

Best Regards,

Andy The EZ EMBEDDED Team

snipped-for-privacy@ezEmbedded.com

Reply to
Andy

Personally I make it a policy not to provide business to spammers, but going off topic......

I am always amused by the over use of 'ez' in names. In English, rather than American English, this is pronounces E-zed.

Therefore the new processor from Zilog is the 'Zed-neo' (not the Zee-neo they had hoped for).

TI produce some nice DSP development boards called 'E-ZED-DSP' (not the E-ZEE-DSP they maybe hoped for).

Etc.

Regards, Richard.

    for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051, PIC24 & dsPIC
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

I prefer the mediaeval "izzard" when reading these names out.

There was that East German motorbike in the 70s- you didn't expect much performance, as the engine was CZ.

And of course the Dutch have their Zuider Zed.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

even the first zilog, the z80, we pronounced zed-80, and I thought that is what it was called for about ten years. (well before the web of course)

Then one day I saw an episode of the old "Towards 2000" tv show, and they were talking about what sounded like a c80 micro. Of course it was the American zee-80 :-)

That's when we started "sodering" everything instead of "soldering". :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460
Reply to
Don McKenzie

When I moved here from Canada I thought I would never succumb to the Zee disease, but I found I transmuted within a year or two. Other things have not succumbed over 50 years.

CBFalconer

You mean its not pronounced like that? I've learned something then. I never thought their later derivatives - the 'e zed 80' - tripped off the tongue very easily.

Regards, Richard.

    for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051, PIC24 & dsPIC
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Not me. I use "zee" intentionally when I am talking to phone support personnel (usually when giving my domain name - zws.com). In normal conversation, always "zed".

And I will never be able to say "sodering". It's soLder, people. Maybe the need to work with antique weights and measures uses up so much mental capacity in a native-born American than they occasionally lose phonemes out of words.

Reply to
larwe

Hmmm.. I looked it up in my big paper dictionary (Collier's) and it's pronounced sod'er (upside down e). dictionary.reference.com agrees. Merriam-Webster agrees, with an exception for Britain (säl-der or sOl-der (long o)). As far as I can tell, we're pronouncing it right. Not that you can tell over the internet ;-)

The word is from the Middle English "soudure", originally the latin "solidare" and "solidus" from which we get "solid" and "solidarity" - all "joining together" words.

It's a side effect of having to pronounce city names like Leichester (pronounced "less-ter").

Besides, we don't lose phonemes. We recycled them, by adding them to other words.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Tsk, modern trash. In much the same way that the King James edition is the only true Christian Bible, the only true English Dictionary is the OED. This is not searchable online for free (quality has a price) but a portion of it is available at

Fortunately this particular word is in the free section:

solder

/sold[reverse-e]r, sol-/ [no alternative pronunciations shown]

And you'll note that both the Latin roots and the modern English descendants have the L pronounced.

There was a Leceister St. in Port Chester NY where I used to live. I could never direct a taxi to go there, since I pronounced it properly and their rendition was something like "lye-chester".

Reply to
larwe

Yea, right, like there are no oddities in British pronunciation. Any Americans care to take a guess at how the name Featherstonehaugh is pronounced?

It's pronounce "fanshaw".

At least we (well most of us) can keep the "r"'s from wandering off at random from one word and inserting themselves in various wrong places. ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My face is new, my
                                  at               license is expired, and I'm

Strangely, I once saw a Mr Fanshaw interviewed on TV and everyone including him said, feather stone halt.

Reply to
tim.....

Though it's spelt "Fanshaw", it's pronounce "mangrove-throat-warbler".

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Life is a POPULARITY
                                  at               CONTEST! I'm REFRESHINGLY

How's the British nobleman's name 'Home' pronounced?

How about G. B. Shaw's word 'ghoti'?

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

What's that from?? I remember it from somewhere.

Reply to
larwe

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

Reply to
Richard Pennington

[IOW, Monty Python]

I can't remember what the name was that was pronounced "mangrove-throat-warbler", but I think the guy was a candidate that was standing for Parliament in the episode with the election. Or he was somebody that was being interviewd as part of election coverage. Or something like that.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Are you still an
                                  at               ALCOHOLIC?

Two nations separated by a common language.. !

I personally like the common pronounciation of CARAMEL pronounced "carmel"..

Carmel is a small town in California.. not a confectionary

Quote: " the need to work with antique weights and measures uses up so much

yep, base 10 is so hard to master.. LOL

also.. take a look at

lower on the page are two check boxes.. one for "English" units and the other for "Metric" units.. last time I was in England, ISO units were in use.. English units ARE Metric.. .. when did they change back to Fahrenheit ?

I posted a suggestion to weather.com..

I suggested that "english and metric" be replaced with "American customary units" and International units..

their reply basically told me to f*ck off...

Reply to
thedoc

You mean it isn't? I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced otherwise.

Robert

Robert Adsett

You might have faired better asking for it to be renamed to Imperial units and SI units.

However even then you run into problems for measuring liquids, American pints and gallons being different from Imperial ones.

-p

--
"Unix is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are."
 - Anonymous

... snip ...

I don't think it exists any more. Those words refer to an alloy of lead and tin, with possibly a flux core. Acid core is for plumbing. Nowadays the lead seems to be gone. This prevents acquiring the Bennington, VT water syndrome from the three handed soldering technique: Iron in right hand, component in left, solder in mouth.

CBFalconer