Embedded CD Player

I'm interested in attaching a low-cost IDE CDROM to an AVR board.  The AVR
needs to pick the tracks and control it, but it's used as an embedded CD
Player for playing audio.  Are there any good links to how this might be
done?  I've found general stuff on IDE interfaces (particularly using CF)
and FAT16/32, but nothing quite like this.

Thanks.

Re: Embedded CD Player
From what I gather, I need to read the "TOC" and then issue something called
a "PLAY AUDIO" command to cause the track audio to start piping out a 3-pin
header on the drive.  The IDE bus has nothing to do with the audio data.

Has anyone done this?

Re: Embedded CD Player

You need to use the IDE to send the command. Have you tried looking up
ATAPI? Don't quote me, as I recall that was the first standard to
actually include removable storage in the standard.

Random search result:
http://www.ata-atapi.com /

Re: Embedded CD Player

called
3-pin

I'm currently doing something similar. I'm trying to design and built my own
audio CD-player and I'm also using an AVR to control the CD-ROM drive.
You're right you need to issue a command over the IDE interface, and you can
look it up in the IDE specs.

Re: Embedded CD Player

Take a look at the following:

http://www.8052.com/users/jsno/