Editor?

What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer
cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH
environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with
Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was
one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and
it's buggy, unfortunately).

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!

-->Neil

Re: Editor?

If you want the whole kit and caboodle with all bells
and whistles (and some learning threshold), consider
Emacs. There are versions for even Windowses.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: Editor?

LOL

Ian
--
Ian Bell

Re: Editor?

I use XEmacs. I don't really like it, but it will be around forever, unlike
Brief and Codewright, and dozens of other abandonwares.

Re: Editor?
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:11:33 -0800, "Neil Bradley"

Use vi, the one true editor...    ;-)

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: Editor?

LOL

Ian
--
Ian Bell

Re: Editor?
I second Rich, of course; but if you want something GUI and free, try
Crimson Editor, http://www.crimsoneditor.com /

Re: Editor?

And, if forced to use Windows(TM), look to Lemmy for a well implemented
vi for that platform.

          Michael Kesti            |  "And like, one and one don't make
Re: Editor?
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:41:58 GMT, Rich Webb

[...]

Vi is a piece of wombat do.  ;-)

After Borland bought and killed Brief, I switched to CodeWright.  Then
Borland bought CodeWright, and...

I'll probably continue using CodeWright in the near future, but if
(when) I have to switch again, it'll probably be to Xemacs.

If you want something very simple and free under Windoze, Programmer's
Notepad (http://www.pnotepad.org /) fits the bill nicely.  My biggest
complaint is the lack of column cut/paste/etc.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Editor?
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:16:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave Hansen)

Oi! Don't you say bad things about our wombats!

Mike Harding (in Oz :)

Re: Editor?
... snip ...

Try textpad.  <http://textpad.com

Re: Editor?

uh oh, here we go...

and btw, just for the record, vi is evil, or at least half so...

--
Richard

Re: Editor?

Nice one ;-)

I'll remember that for the future.

Ian

--
Ian Bell

Re: Editor?

For simple stuff I use Kedit or Kate.

Ian
--
Ian Bell

Re: Editor?

Kedit and/or Kate as a replacement for brief? LOL

Noel

Re: Editor?

As I said, for simple stuff, certainly.

Ian
--
Ian Bell

Re: Editor?

Just teasing. My opinion shouldn't count for much (on this subject) anyway.
I'm a Vim user. :)

Noel

Re: Editor?

snip

No offence taken.  I know editors are a very personal thing.  I remember
nearly 25 years ago working on a microprocessor development system that had
a line based editor (worse than the old IBM edlin).  It was OK once you got
used to it and I used it everyday for about six months. However, I also
remember the revelation when the first screen based editor appeared.  After
that there was no way I would go back to a line based editor.  I felt the
same when GUI editors appeared with their point and click interface and no
need to learn arcane key sequences.

I am sure that for people who do a lot of editing it is easy to become very
familiar (and productive) with a particular editor.  For the casual editor
like me a minimal learning curve is essential.  I only mentioned Kwrite,
which I would initially have put in the same class as Windows Write i.e
more a primitive word processor than an editor, because almost by chance I
started using it to write a Tcl/Tk programme.  To my surprise it recognised
the keywords and highlighted the code as well as showing starting and
corresponding ending braces. With line numbering turned on it does me fine.

Ian
--
Ian Bell

The Worst Text Editor
There will never be agreement on the best.

So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:

I nominate the Tek-Lab with a DECWriter (30 cps teletype
like thingy).  I grew up on an '026 keypunch, so the
ability to get a listing _any time you wanted_ was,
like, wow!

Intel had a pretty awful one, Credit(?), that should have
been called 'Bankrupt'.

Intel improved it with 'Alter'.

Then Willy The Wanker gave the world edlin (don't
you wish he had finished college?) and I longed for
an IBM '026.

IBM came out with 'Professional Editor': I threw it
away.  Wish I had kept it, it was _so_ incredibly bad.  IBM
also had a 'Personal Editor', a bit better but you wouldn't
want to use it.  Edlin didn't look so bad after these two.

Then it was back to Alter under run.com, a program that let
Intel x86 MDSIII software run on an IBM PC.

Then came Brief.  Heaven.  I am still using V 1.32. Brief
went down hill after that and I was sick of the text
editor dance.  OK, no mouse, but mice just give you
numb fingers and an aching back.

Yeah, yeah: I have ME, Emacs, Kedit (?), blah blah blah,
workbenches out my ears, IDE this and IDE that ...
they don't impress me.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

Do you really want to go back that far?

Ok, Symbolic Tape Editor -> ASR33

Came with new PDP8/L's along with PAL3
assembler.

Want to go back even farther?

How about a Friden Flexwriter and paper
tape.  *No* editor.  Make a mistake,
back up the tape and press rubout.

Anyone that had a DECWriter was in fat city (: