Easy In-System Programming for Atmel ARM7 ?

I have a client who needs to write program hex files to flash in installed AT91SAM2S256 chips. The board is fitted with the standard ARM 20-pin JTAG connector. I'm getting my head around OpenOCD and gdb, but they seem too complicated for a civilian.

Would anyone like to share experiences with simpler software, possibly Windows-based? Recommendations for interface hardware, software packages, etc.?

Thanks, Mel.

Reply to
Mel

I bet you mean: AT91SAM_7_S256

A little more information would be helpful.

Is there a serial port connected to the outside world ?

Is programming to be done within a sealed box, i.e. is the board access available ?

Google for "AT91SAM7S256 boot loader", there are lots of ideas there.

don

Reply to
don

Hmmm. Yes. That is what I mean

Serial could be arranged. JTAG would be be OK if the process could come down to "Run these programs according to this simple checklist." Board access is possible too. Client is having the boards custom built. We have wiggler clones that appear to work well with the target processor on AT91SAM7S-EK. All concerned still have very little experience with this particular chip.

Mel.

Reply to
Mel

See:

Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
Designed for Microcontrollers.  More than 7000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

We ended up making our own, now available at

All you is a terminal program that supports XModem, even HyperTerm will do but we supply one. It's basically a scriptable ARM JTAG debugger. Several of our clients use them for production flashing. The nice part is that you can save the configuration on the widget itself - a bit more set up but ideal for production.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691