EAGLE and ORCAD

Hi ,

Which is the better option to buy - ORCAD or EAGLE ? Kindly share your views and suggestions .

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
KBG

Why not try them both, and some other products, and see which you prefer?

Leon

Reply to
Leon

I've used both and Orcad is more powerfull and easier to use (oince you get used to the user interface). BUT, Eagle is a nice package and the price is much lower than OrCad.

Your best bet is to try a demo of both and see which package you like the best.

I would also try out Altium Designer:

It has some really cool features and cost about the same as OrCad.

Reply to
typhon62

It depends on your budget. If money is no object then you should evaluate all the options, paying careful attention to what you're actually getting for your money (many of the high-end options are NOT perpetual licenses; you need to keep paying annually for the privilege of being able to access your own data files).

If you need Linux or MacOS support, and/or if price is important, then EAGLE is really the only choice - it's the only fully-featured, reasonably well-known PCB CAD package that also has a reasonable pricing structure. And it is available for Win32, Linux/x86 and MacOS X.

Reply to
larwe

Eagle.

Orcad's support for running under Linux or OS-X sucks.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I OWN six pink
                                  at               HIPPOS!!

Hi, The user interface of OrCAD is pathetic. A newbie will understand a crap of OrCAD. In that respect Eagle is good. OST

Reply to
Open_Source_Techie

I have done a lot of boards with Eagle. Fairly complex boards. I like it. The interface took a little getting used to but it is easy to customize and works quite well once you get it going. ORcad is more complex and more capable but I can;t think of anything I can't do with Eagle.

Reply to
Elan Magavi

...if you don't count KiCAD and gEDA.

Since the OP multi-posted,

snipped-for-privacy@lntinfotech.com+ORCAD&filter=0 I'll put a link here to Markus Zingg's admonition about EAGLE's DRM and Cadsoft's Screw-You policy toward paying customers:
*-*-website+reuse+paying.*+*-I-will-switch+cracked-*+*.would.not.help.*+zzz+after-*-*-version-*+copied+*.*.unlock.*.designs+*-*-*-*-exchange-*-*-*-*-third-party+reused+qq+*-*-single-bit-*-*-*-*+useless+*-*-*-projects-could-no-longer-be-openednews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

Reply to
JeffM

Hi,

Wow, Coool !! I find that KiCAD and gEDA belong to OpenSource Community. (GPL). But, do those have all the necessary functionalities and easy interfaces just as ORCAD, EAGLE , PULSONIX.

I came to know that EWB is also good one. But, does it have all the necessary stuffs just like ORCAD, EAGLE , PULSONIX.

Share your views regarding PCAD, EWB, KiCAD and gEDA.

Really, a big set of tools with vast features to download and check all the tools before getting on with one of them.

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg

Hi, Thankyou for all of your valuable responses & tips. I will try the demo versions also before deciding on this.

Regards, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg