DVD writing questions

I need to get started estimating the time necessary to create a DVD archiving solution for our embedded system (and probably implementing it not long after). I had some questions about this since the topic is a bit overwhelming, and I'm not finding a lot of info online that is relevant for implementation.

I want compatibility with PCs and Macs for the data interchange. The device selected can write to DVDs and CDs, and is on a USB to IDE adapter.

Is UDF (1.02) simpler or harder to implement than ISO-9660?

If I use UDF and write that onto a CD, will it be readable on most systems, or will I have to use 9660? I don't necessarily want to implement both file systems (to save code space).

Is it acceptable to use 9660 on DVD instead of UDF; meaning will this be widely readable and usable by not-very-tech-savvy users? 9660 seems a lot more ubiquitous as far as code samples to get inspiration from (or just borrow if it's not GPL).

I'm also not finding helpful information about the layer below the filesystem; the sessions, book type, and so forth. As well as the actual low level write process. Any links?

-- Darin Johnson

Reply to
Darin Johnson