DVD+R, DVD-R, which is preferred?

side effects.'

It was DVD-R media. I did not check the stop/start behaviour on DVD+R media. --- I had "wasted" enough discs and time already :).

somebody.

Here in South Africa the only reasonably good quality media available is from Verbatimn. One still has to check where the specific batch was manufactured. Most retailers here go for the cheapest nastiest products they can get hold of.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

I like the Liteon gear. They OEM Sony. The drives are very quiet.

I've been using Asus drives for reading, and they work well, but the hardware seems flimsy.

play

Reply to
miso

Have you considered making both types, so you can use any DVD player you run into?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Occasionally I'll do that. But often I'll be carrying a whole set of cases and then it's like "Oh, let's look at the one at site XYZ from last October". Carrying twice the number of DVDs would get old.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe, but it makes you look really good when their new player craps during the presentation and they have to dig out the old backup that requires the OTHER set of disks.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Keep a backup copy ON your PC and burn a DVD on the fly... You can get 160 GB 2,5" hard disks and put in USB enclosures

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

If you don't mind a somewhat larger enclosure you can get USB2.0 or USB2.0/Firewire enclosures for 3.5" disks that are barely larger than the disk itself (not much damping or room for the fan to work). You can pop a 400 or 500G disk in there and get the equivalent of 100 DVDs worth of storage. The enclosures are cheap (like $25 or $50). Of course, they have an external switching supply for the HDD so there are more cables and bits. eSATA is also available. I saw a cheap one that was 10/100 Ethernet as well as USB2.0 mass storage, but they didn't do the NAS stuff very well-- wouldn't use NTFS with the network interface, only FAT32, with a 32G (!) limit.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany