dsPIC serial number

Hi

I want to put a serial number into a dsPIC - there's four bytes of user space in the flash which would be ideal.

Is there any reasonably easy way of stopping this from being changed when new software is programmed using a PicKit programmer? I know I could read it and re-write it, but I want something which moderately tech-savvy customers can do.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I should add that this would be less than one hundred units, so no custom parts. If it comes to it I'll use a serial number chip, but I'd rather not bother.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Do some of those parts have some eeprom? That's intended for that sort of purpose.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

This has a table which shows the erase and write blocks for a dsPIC.

I dunno whether a PicKit can pick ( hah! ) and choose which blocks it reprograms or not. The single examples using an ICD3 I've seen used did not but that was on a PIC24 and on a PIC32. Serial numbers were managed with a barcode on the case, and there were Noi User Serviceable Parts Inside - upgrades were done only in an RMR facility.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Check the configuration bytes at 0xf8010 - 0xf8017. They are reserved as User Unit ID Bytes.

--

-TV
Reply to