Driving a static, non-character based lcd

I'm attempting to reuse a LCD screen built in the early 80s. The screen is a conventional static TN LCD, however the characters are not traditional segmented letters or numbers, but patterns, as found on lcd games etc. The only specs I have come from the complete original unit, which requires 3v DC at 0.0002w.

My question is, without the original control gear, how best to drive and custom animate this screen?

I don't need the driver to respond to any incoming data, just to show a fixed animation loop. There are around 50 segments to drive, but I'd be happy grouping them and getting just a few to run initially.

I'm familiar with using pic micros, and have seen the PIC16F913 /PIC18F8490 etc that come with a LCD drive function, can anyone speculate whether these could be used?

Many thanks

Reply to
infliv