Download location for HighTec C167 compiler?

Anybody know where I can get a copy of the C166/ST10 port of
gcc that HighTec sells?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Like I always
                                  at               say -- nothing can beat

I looked into this a couple of years ago. Seems you can't get it.
This was perhaps the first blatant violation of the GPL. They should
have been ground up and spit out, but I guess nobody cared enough.

As big as the 167 market is, it's not that big. There are no free compilers
out there, and apparently none in the works, and I don't expect that to
change.

Re: Download location for HighTec C167 compiler?

As far as I can tell, they provide source code for everything that you
can download. (I may be wrong here, I have not checked
everything). The downloadable system has a restriction on the size of
the program & data of 64k+64k. But I believe that this is "enforced"
only by the memory model of the supplied libraries. As far as I can
tell, there is nothing to stop you writing your own version of the
libraries for the expanded memory model.

Now I don't know what happens if you actually buy the product, perhaps
they don't give the source code of the extra libraries? That would
indeed be a violation as I understand it. (If so, has anyone who
bought it actually asked them for the code and been refused)?

The hightec one is still available for download at
<www.hightec-rt.com>, with the above limitations.

If it is a new product though, I would now choose another chip, like
an ARM variant. One that is in the gcc mainline, there are plenty to
choose from!

--

John Devereux

Re: Download location for HighTec C167 compiler?

I don't know why I couldn't find the download page before, but
it's there now. :)

That's an option too -- the big advantage of the C166 family is
the wide support for in in the CAN areas (protocol stacks,
etc.).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Jesuit priests are
                                  at               DATING CAREER DIPLOMATS!!

No. The source code for cc1 is not available, thus violationg the GPL.

They are even proud of their own (mis-) interpretation of the GPL.
See http://www.hitex.co.uk/newsletter0603/gnuc166.html

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de

Really?  I should have looked at the sources.  If that's the
case, I'll not do business with them -- though I find that
requesting quotes on a fiew high-dollar items and then telling
them why you're not buying seems to work the best.

Interesting.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... If I had heart
                                  at               failure right now,

Ah. I had not seen this; it appears you are right. (Unless their cc1
does not include any gcc code, which seems rather unlikely...)

That newsletter is pretty recent (August 2003).

I suspect that after they digest the resulting "feedback" from it, we
may get the full free version :)

--

John Devereux

Re: Download location for HighTec C167 compiler?

Actually part of what they say is correct here - there is absolutely no
requirement to "give away" something that is GPL'd.  The requirement is
that once you provide someone with a GPL'd binary they have the right to
have the sources to that binary for the cost of duplication.  Once they
have the sources they are at liberty to do whatever they wish under the
terms of the GPL, including generating a new binary and distributing
that however they wish under the terms of the GPL.

The problem seems to be that Hitech and Hitex don't accept that once
they've given someone the sources (once they've bought a binary) then
they are free to redistribute derived sources and binaries as they see
fit - this is the part that seems to violate the GPL (but clearly this
is a matter for RMS and the FSF to decide as the copyright holder of gcc).

FWIW I've been around this discussion several times because I maintain a
commercial toolchain that is provided for a charge (along with a lot of
non-GPL'd libraries).  Our customers may have the sources for the GPL'd
components (one of which happens to be gcc) and may redistribute their
own derived versions however they see fit within the terms of the GPL.
In our particular case, however, we have also steadily been assigning
the copyrights of the backend parts of our GNU tools to the FSF so that
they are available in the FSF releases too.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Download location for HighTec C167 compiler?

More interesting is the fact that once you distribute the binary to
someone, if you don't include the source at the same time (section 3a),
you must provide the sources to any THIRD PARTY that requests them
(section 3b).  You can require that they pay "a charge no more than
your cost of physically performing source distribution".

Re: Download location for HighTec C167 compiler?

You are right here. IMHO this is indeed a severe violation of the GPL
(but IANAL).

The FSF and RMS are informed, but things need time.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
Re: Download location for HighTec C167 compiler?

I don't understand what you think they're doing that violates
the GPL. The download site at hightec-rt has sources and binaries
available.

Do do what?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  YOW!! Now I
                                  at               understand advanced