DOSFS from LARWE question?

Hi everybody-

I am attempting to experiment with DOSFS from Lewin Edwards. The chosen platform for my experiements is Windows. I'm running into a stumbling block that I'm sure has an easy solution:

When compiling for testing using the HOSTVER macro defined, how does one create the initial image file with which the test program uses for mass storage? There is a small hint that a utility exists under Windows that will create that file but that's the extent of the suggestion.

Here's a cut from the readme file:

"The demo suite includes an emulation module that reads/writes a disk image file (#define HOSTVER pulls in hostemu.h which wraps the prototypes for these functions). There are various tools for UNIX, DOS, Windows et al, to create images from storage media; my preferred utility is dd."

Mr Edwards is clearly anti-MS so I have some doubt a the Windows question directed to him will invite a happy response. Can anyone answer my question?

Thanks, JJS

Reply to
johnspeth

It might not be possible to get a "real" image of a card within Windows, depending on what device you are using to read the card. You really want something that will give you int 13h (physical) access, so you can get to the MBR. Drivers for many USB readers only give you int

25/26h access (logical) so you will only be able to dump a "big floppy" image. While such an image WILL work with DOSFS (simply give the starting sector as 0 when you mount it, and don't parse the MBR since it isn't there), it's not a realistic view at what your appliance is going to see. If you have a PCMCIA adapter for your flash media, that will most likely allow you to read the card properly.

You can use something like an old copy of Norton Disk Edit. You can also use the program AXE to read the card (use the Open Special... menu option)

Reply to
larwe

;)

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

While I don't deny being anti-MS, that doesn't mean I won't answer questions from people about _my_ products.

Reply to
larwe

I use 'dd' in Win32 (mostly Win2k); just use a 'cygwin1.dll' to match the 'dd.exe' that was compiled for it or use a native 'dd.exe' of which there are many available out there. You will need to use device names like /dev/fd0 for the A: drive and //./PhysicalDrive0 for the first hard drive on the first bus (may be scsi or ide or sata or whatever depending on your configuration), and so on.

You ought to be able to build DOSFS under cygwin as well. Please also deja-google this newgroup for my other posts regarding Lewin's DOSFS in re patches and bugs.

Regards,

Michael Grigoni Cybertheque Museum

Reply to
msg

Yes, I'm sure.

Just in case you missed it, I was quoting the OP. My one contribution was the smiley - I did indeed have a chuckle at the OP's wording ;).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees