Doing SSL on an 8-bit processor

Does anyone know of any 8-bit processors that can handle browser-compatible SSL reasonably quickly?

We have a 44MHz Rabbit 3000 doing initial authentication in 2-3 seconds and throughput of about 120K bit/s (with no Trusted Platform Module). I'm just curious what else might be out there. - Thanks in advance

Reply to
Brian Murtha

These guys posted here a while back advertising a library for SSL that runs on 8-bitters:

They claim high portability so you might try their test drive and see how it works on your hardware / software. I asked them directly if they've tested with Dynamic C - they said their code works with everything, which might mean they've tested it or it might not. They might be able to give you some other 8 bit platforms that their code has been run on.

Dallas has some 8051-based cores with additional crypto hardware. Xilinx has their picoBlaze 8-bitter with some additional crypto hardware on one FPGA. Ateml has AVRs and 6805s with additional crypto hardware. This doesn't mean someone has a network stack and SSL running on them, but they are places you might want to look.

Unless you bother to specify the specific algorithms and key lengths you're timing with, your numbers are too vague to be useful. SSL3 supports a rather large crypto suite with algorithms for key exchange, stream cipher, and hash functions, most with configurable key lengths.

Google found this:

Interesting that they didn't benchmark this against the usual SSL eCommerce accelerator products.

The last non-crypto-accelerated numbers I remember hearing were back in '96 when I was an eCommerce guy: 0.5 sec for an SSL handshake on a Pentium 150. Assuming you're only 4-6 times slower than that, that's pretty impressive for the bunny!

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Hall

The hardware is more critical for speed. The Rabbit 3000A has some new instructions that speed up encryption/decryption considerably. Mocana would be an option for Softools users with some recoding.

Thanks. I'll check them out. I'm curious if they use TPMs.

We implented SSL3 and TLS1 with the following, for out-of-the box compatibility with all major browsers:

Secure message digest hashing routines for TLS RSA public-key encryption routines (includes PKCS encoding) Multi-precision arithmetic for RSA RC4 symmetric bulk cipher routines SHA-1 message digest implementation MD5 message digest implementation

No DES yet.

We're pretty pleased with it. We're trying to figure out pricing now.

Reply to
Brian Murtha

take a look at matrixssl.org

Vadim