Does research work about hardware software codesign of embedded system make a sense in in...

Is research work about hardware software codesign of embedded system
useful for industry?How many companies are using the methodology on
HW/SW co-design of embedded system?

Re: Does research work about hardware software codesign of embedded system make a sense in industry?

I suppose I will throw my $0.02 into the hat, since part of my mission
in my most recent "life" was to study co-simulation options, as a soft-
ware developer working *inside* an IC design team.

IME, it is difficult to get buy-in on the software side, at least when
drving the process from an ASIC design group.   Seems the logic simula-
tors used by the IC designers intimidate the software developers, with
their plethora of arcane options and commands. Moreover, many software
developers--even EE's accustomed to "programming down to bare metal"--
do not especially want to decode simulator waveforms[1],  to determine
whether their software is working.

On the hardware side, making a cosimulation setup adquate for the soft-
ware developers can get pretty hairy, too.  It may be necessary to com-
bine what would ordinarily be a large number of separate,  design unit
test benches, to simulate enough of *the system containing* the DUT to
provide anywhere near the coverage available with a physical prototype
and "load box".

I have heard that there is a good ROI in time-to-completion, when both
teams (hardware and software) buy into the process; but haven't witnes-
sed it, personally,  except in projects small enough that hardware and
software engineers work side-by-side, anyway, and co-design happens as
a natural consequence, without need for formal tools or processes.

-----

[1] With the possible exception of nutcases like myself, who consider
    logic analyzers to be a preferred debugging tool; and even I have
    occasionally asserted that "Sometimes, there's no good substitute
    for a 'real'[2] load box!"

[2] Yes, I think calling a load box "real" is ironic, too.

--
egr

To contact me directly, chop the path to limbo out of my address.

Site Timeline