Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

we have a IAR EWB C/C++ IDE.  i want to know if the product support
command line compile a c project? and, does it support something like
compile using Makefile ?

thanks.

-
woody

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

Opening a command prompt, going to the IAR bin directory and typing "iccarm"
I get a whole lot of command line options.  Creating a simple C file and
typing "iccarm main.c"  I get some output - so the answer appears to be Yes.
Maybe it would have been quicker for you to try this yourself than write
your post?

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

Any compiler for any language on any system supports using a
makefile.  If the compiler doesn't return success/failure status
the interaction with the make program will not be good.  You need
only read the documentation of your make program.

--
  Some informative links:
Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

Not if it's a Windows IDE which requires GUI interaction to perform the
compile operation.

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?
On 6 Jan 2006 04:58:21 -0800 in comp.arch.embedded, "larwe"

I haven't seen Chuck's post on my newsreader yet, but as an example...

CodeVisionAVR, a C compiler targeting Atmel AVR microcontrollers most
emphatically does not support usage by make.  You load all your C
files into a "project" in the GUI, and hit the "build" button.  Every
C file is compiled every time.  Rather than object files, a big honkin
ASM file is generated and passed to an assembler.  The application is
"linked" at the ASM level.

There is _no_ command line interface whatsoever.  Many users have been
begging for one for some time, but the architecture of the system
apparently makes this difficult.  Even if there was, it would probably
take the form of "build the project" rather than "compile the file."

Regards,
                                        -=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?
Even there.  There is an underlying set of command line driven
programs, including the compiler and linker.  I am thinking of
Microsofts own stuff (Visual Studio etc.) here.  I doubt that
anybody elses stuff is fundamentally different.

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

Like I said: "not if it's a Windows IDE which requires GUI
interaction".

If an IDE simply calls external command-line programs, then good - but
there are unfortunately some that are totally "integrated" in the real
monolithic single-executable sense of the word.

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

i believe it is right in theory.  but finding out how to properly pass
many options to compiler and linker without a simple example is very
hard as i think.  especiall, beside the object files, IAR's linker has
a command file as it's parameter, i don't know how to use or generate
it.

so i like to know, is there anyone successfully do a Makefile for a IAR
embeded project ? if so, i just want an example.  thanks.

-
woody

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

By the way - just so you know, the answer to this is yes - we have
built MSP430 and NEC 78K0 projects with makefiles using MAKE from the
free command-line edition of Borland C++ 5.5. I can't pull the files to
tell you how it was done, but this is more to tell you that it IS
possible (note that these were old versions of IAR).

Note that we despise IAR and have successfully migrated away from them.

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

Create a simple project in the IDE that has the options you require - build
it - look in the 'build' output window to find the command line it is
using - copy this into your makefile.

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: Does IAR Embedded Workbench IDE Support Command-Line Compile ?

Thank You All .

Site Timeline