Does free RTOS Object file can fit in ARM7 (Philips 2106) microcontroller?.

ARM7 Microcontroller has 128K Flash and 64K RAM, does free RTOS object
file can fit in that flash?.  Thanks.

Re: Does free RTOS Object file can fit in ARM7 (Philips 2106) microcontroller?.
If you mean freeRTOS (www.freertos.org) then yes it should, there's a port
to Olimex's 2106 and 2124 development boards.

If you mean free RTOSs in general then you'll struggle with the more complex
ones such as eCos (http://ecos.sourceware.org /). You'll want one of the
larger LPC22xx chips with external storage before they become really useful.
The smaller task schedulers such as freeRTOS will be fine.

Richard Tuffin

Re: Does free RTOS Object file can fit in ARM7 (Philips 2106) microcontroller?.
Rich,

I wouldlike to some kind of RTOS which should handle some socket calls
and some loadable kernel module/Task kind of stuff, I don't need high
end based systen, I would like to load low end based only, since on
this microcontroller 128K flash and 64K RAM available, there are two
serial ports also available, I need some CLI communication. I am
looking for some kind of RTOS I would like to run (somebody suggested
uC-OS-ii). Thanks.

Re: Does free RTOS Object file can fit in ARM7 (Philips 2106) microcontroller?.

What do you want to do with the CLI?

uC-OS-ii is not free.

Re: Does free RTOS Object file can fit in ARM7 (Philips 2106) microcontroller?.

It is free with the book.  But you must pay is you want to sell you product.

I do not think the book version comes with the TCP/IP Stack.

Re: Does free RTOS Object file can fit in ARM7 (Philips 2106) microcontroller?.
I have two serial ports, SPI, I2C, I need to do some communication over
the serial ports, I don't think I can do some network based since ARM7
controller don't have any interface to ethernet. Probably I need TCP/IP
stack if I want to do some PPP over HDLC (serial port), even if TCP/IP
not available it should be OK.

Re: Does free RTOS Object file can fit in ARM7 (Philips 2106) microcontroller?.
This I needed to do some in-house project. I would like to do some RTOS
project using kernel and loadable modules, also set something using CLI
and all. This is not for selling to anybody

Re: Does free RTOS Object file can fit in ARM7 (Philips 2106) microcontroller?.

You will find live software update in commercial rtos
but not in basic ones.

You could write your own code for that:

Have a task capable of receiving data through the
protocol you are using and copy the code at some
place in memory. Then create a task with that
adress as the main function.
You must find a way of generating executable code.
You could reserve fixed adresses in memory and have
the linker locate the code at these addresses.
If you want your downloaded code to be able to
call your functions, you can create a table in memory
at a known location that contains the addresses of
the functions.

Site Timeline