Does anyone make a pin-compatible solid-state floppy replacement?

I am looking for a device which can replace a floppy drive (3.5") with a solid-state memory and be pin-compatible so I can just plug it into the floppy ribbon cable and replace the floppy drive with the solid-state-based memory.

The reason for this is I have a logic analyzer with 2 floppy drives which hold the system code. These floppies are giving CRC errors now and I would like to replace once and for all the floppy drives with Flash or EPROM memory. The replacement must be pin compatible with the floppy drive at the ribbon cable interface of course. These are 720K, 3.5" drives. The logic analyzer is an HP 16500A. Size is not important.

Please reply to this newsgroup.

Thank you

Reply to
mmmmmmmm

There are memory card floppy disk adapters available too, maybe that will help? I just did a quick Google and saw them. But chances are they need special drivers, and right away you're talking Windows...

Rufus

Reply to
Rufus V. Smith

I understand your motivation and reasoning, but I think it is unlikely that you will find such a thing. There are so many easier ways to store and retrieve data from Flash or EPROM than by making it emulate a floppy interface. But of course, not in the context of your needs.

If you haven't done so, I would suggest monitoring ebay for 3.5" 720K drives.

Bill

Reply to
William Meyer

We got a few of them. They need win98/linux drivers and are not bootable, since they don't appear as standard floppy drives. Even for win98, they are not very reliable and lock-up quite often. They do work with linux, some of the time.

Reply to
linnix

solid-state-based

the

Although it doesn't meet the density you need, have a look at the Semi-Virtual Diskette (SVD)

This is probably what you are after.

Reply to
Max Scane