Does anyone make a pin-compatible solid-state floppy replacement?

I am looking for a device which can replace a floppy drive (3.5") with a
solid-state memory and be pin-compatible so I can just plug it into the
floppy ribbon cable and replace the floppy drive with the solid-state-based
memory.

The reason for this is I have a logic analyzer with 2 floppy drives which
hold the system code. These floppies are giving CRC errors now and I would
like to replace once and for all the floppy drives with Flash or EPROM
memory. The replacement must be pin compatible with the floppy drive at the
ribbon cable interface of course. These are 720K, 3.5" drives. The logic
analyzer is an HP 16500A. Size is not important.

Please reply to this newsgroup.

Thank you

Re: Does anyone make a pin-compatible solid-state floppy replacement?

There are memory card floppy disk adapters available too, maybe
that will help?  I just did a quick Google and saw them.  But
chances are they need special drivers, and right away you're
talking Windows...

Rufus

Re: Does anyone make a pin-compatible solid-state floppy replacement?

We got a few of them.  They need win98/linux drivers and are not
bootable, since they don't appear as standard floppy drives.  Even for
win98, they are not very reliable and lock-up quite often.  They do
work with linux, some of the time.

Re: Does anyone make a pin-compatible solid-state floppy replacement?

I understand your motivation and reasoning, but I think it is unlikely
that you will find such a thing. There are so many easier ways to store
and retrieve data from Flash or EPROM than by making it emulate a floppy
interface. But of course, not in the context of your needs.

If you haven't done so, I would suggest monitoring ebay for 3.5" 720K
drives.

Bill

Re: Does anyone make a pin-compatible solid-state floppy replacement?

solid-state-based
the
Although it doesn't meet the density you need, have a look at the
Semi-Virtual Diskette (SVD)
http://www.rothfus.com/SVD/index.php
This is probably what you are after.

Site Timeline