does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/10/11/laser.plane.ap/index.html

Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?

Were you planning to embed this laser plane, and if so where?

--
Ron Sharp.

Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?

"Android Cat"
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/10/11/laser.plane.ap/index.html

As with all flying scale model planes, sooner or later it WILL be
embedded.  ;-)

michael

Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?
Found this with Google News search:

http://www.gizmo.com.au/public/News/news.asp?articleid22%62

Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?

it is a poor designed thing.

Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?

I'm sure NASA would welcome your suggestions.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Well, it's not like they can't use the help these days.  ;-)  As to the
design of the plane, since weight is the number one priority, I don't
see how it could have been much lighter.  However, it does still appear
to be fairly sturdy to me.  I wonder if they used COTS materials or if
they paid millions to develop and build the prototype.

Since they had already flown the plane powered by ordinary visible
light, and have been doing things like this for some time now, I don't
understand all the hoopla about it be powered by LASER.  Especially
given the size of the LASER they appear to be using.  I mean, did
someone think that it wouldn't work?  I'd like to know how many watts of
input power to the LASER (power supply).  I'd also like to see it's
outdoor performance.  ;-)

michael

Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:49:49 GMT, "Anthony Fremont"

The visible light experiment didn't track the plane, and I'm sure the
laser uses less power than the spotlight they used for preliminary
testing. I would think the point of using the laser was concentration
of the power and the ability to provide tracking. The ability to
efficiently generate useful amounts of power at non-visible
wavelengths is another reason to use lasers.

" have been doing things like this for some time now,"

Not sure what you mean by this. The article described it as an
"aviation first" and mentioned no other experiments except the
Japanese steam-powered paper airplane.

What size was it? I haven't seen any numbers.

Maybe, maybe not, but the time eventually comes when you have to
reduce theory to practice and actually *try* it.

I thought you knew the size ? (see above.)

Outdoor performance will obviously be more affected by atmospheric
conditions, but the principles are the same.

Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?

the
appear
if

Tracking was probably not that difficult for them given NASA's
experience at doing that.  ;-)  I suppose that the LASER will be usefull
for being able to power it from a good distance, and not shining a
visible light on it will be a benefit in military applications.  I guess
the goal is to be able to fly solar powered aircraft at night, though it
seems more useful to the military than anything.

AIR, the article declared it a "first" as far as LASER powered flight,
but it's far from being a first in being powered by light.  There have
been very large solar powered aircraft flying for some time now.  They
seem far more practical for hauling around sky based equipment.

I don't know, I was making my comment from the size of the "turret" that
was being used.

I suppose, but I hope they didn't spend millions proving their theory in
this case.  I don't usually make comments like this about high-tech
stuff, but I really question the overall usefulness of this technology,
outside the military and perhaps law enforcement that is.

I don't think wind was part of the design spec for this one.  ;-)

michael

Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?

It actually looks somewhat like a commercial model, except for the large
photovoltaic cells hanging underneath the model. The wings are lightweight,
with a probable carbon spar and leading edge on the main wing, carbon spar
on the horizontal stabiliser, and may have CF within the fuselage, although
it's unlikely, as the structure should have sufficient strength for the job.
The wings also have a large camber, which with such a slow speed aircraft,
woud generate sufficient lift.

If you want an impressive "model" aircraft aircraft, have a look at the NASA
"Helios".

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/Helios /

--

David

Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?

intended to draw attention and attract private or public funding.

Rene
--
Ing.Buro R.Tschaggelar http://www.ibrtses.com
Your newsgroups @  http://www.talkto.net

Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?
On 12 Oct 2003 10:57:55 GMT, "Rene Tschaggelar"

Who? Mylinux?

It's best to read the article before commenting. The intention was to
learn something, since the project is already publicly funded.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Even as non-US taxpayer I'm not impressed.
Learn what ?
That the photovoltaics at IR is not that great ?
That visible lasers are also not that great ?
That the restriction of strictly requiring line of sight may
be too limiting ?
That the tracking of the airplane becomes complicated when
thermal influences plus wind are added outdoors ?

There are electric powered model airplanes that work great.
For longer ranges, there are fossile powered model airplanes.
One even was able to cross the atlantic ocean recently.

Rene

Re: does any one has big pic of this laser powered plane...?

As a US taxpayer, I'm afraid that I have to agree.  What with the
current state of autonomous control, nano technology etc, this
technology seems a bit aged even if it is "new".

I strongly agree on the line of site issue, but I suppose that their
argument is that it's a communications platform and needs line of site
anyway.  As for their claims of cell-phone repeating, cable tv and and
internet provision, I really doubt it will do anything like that any
time soon.  I mean I understand the benefits of not having to carry
battery packs, but with <20% efficiency solar cells are not the answer
IMO.  The two major strengths I see in the project really have nothing
to do with public use, they are to be able to fly at night and do it
covertly regardless of cost.  That sounds like a military/police
application to me.  ;-)

I agree.

michael

Site Timeline