Display module ID

Just put apart a tablet, has a nice 7" 1280x800 display with capacitive touch. No more than 3mm thick... pretty good.

The only text on its back is: P0400247R012cc1N00088 . There is also a very long bar code which the 3-4 android apps I tried could not read.

I intend to reverse engineer the signals to it, does not look like the hugest of efforts. Plenty of wires to the touchscreen, a few to the display - apparently lvds. Won't be the easiest of tasks but should be doable in a few days if not hours. The module certainly looks worth it [I have bought more than one tablet so I will have modules for the first few prototypes; if I can't get exactly this tablet later I will have to deal with it but this has been invariably the case with display modules over the years for me anyway, no matter how many datasheets and promises I got and from which reputable (or not) supplier I have been buying].

Hopefully someone in China or wherever has a clue who makes these etc. related info; the tablet brand is "RADIUS MD7019", don't think these sell elsewhere but in Bulgaria (from a few searches I did), but I may be wrong on that one. May turn out to be someone here is making them, who knows. Which might - or moght not - makes getting some info easier.

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

Why not just use the tablet itself as sort of a "smart display"? I.e., in much the same way you control the netmca *from* a PC (which could be regarded as a smart display)

Talk to it via some interface (many of them have provisions for a "network dongle" to give them true ethernet connectivity). Tie in via a USB port? etc.

I.e., let *them* deal with the display and give you a more "virtualized" interface.

Reply to
Don Y

Don's point would make obsolescence a bit easier to deal with. A given program would be relatively easy to port to another tablet with the same display resolution and OS version.

--

Rick
Reply to

Don't put the application *in* the tablet!

Dimiter currently talks to one of his products via VNC (or similar). My point (to him) was to adopt the same sort of approach -- put a VNC "viewer" in the tablet and just figure out the hardware interface to get from the tablet to his actual device. This reduces the requirements for what the tablet must "do" to just that of a "display server". (like an X terminal in functionality)

This assumes he is looking for a similar sort of "usage".

Reply to
Don Y

No one was suggesting any different.

--

Rick
Reply to

Well I do have this already, the current netmca *is* that.

The physical connection is a minor issue, can be done one way or the other. USB, wifi, you name it.

But (a) DPS has grown/matured into a really serious system and should have its own, complete platform with display etc., (b) using the touchscreen of a cheap tablet is *unbearable*, the only thing saving those here from being smashed into the wall is the thought of the nice display modules I would break. This would repel practically every customer who tries it out. I don't know why it is so hard for those who make touchscreens to do the programming such that the central point of each touch is always a display pixel large and moves in a completely analog way but they can't do it. I once talked to a guy doing exactly this sort of job for a large well known company and he was clearly in the dark how this is to be done. So I'll have to do it myself.

BTW I did perhaps even better than locating the display ID, I got the datasheet of the chip which does the parallel -> lvds. A pretty complex thing, not like the "normal" drivers I have used previously. Was not on the manufacturers website but when I asked a guy there just kindly sent it to me. I guess I'll just use that same chip... :-).

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

Yes -- though it is expected to talk to a *PC*. I considered the tablet a "step up" -- away from teh bulk of the PC but without abandoning the elegance of the "display service" (i.e., the display can easily be remoted -- at the expense of WIRE)

It seemed a logical extension to migrate the display onto a (wireless) smartphone, tablet, etc.!

(Is there no VALUE in being able to tout this -- remote display -- as a FEATURE?)

Ah, OK. I had considered your current implementation more elegant. OTOH, if you think (some) users perceive that as a shortcoming, then...

?? For *everything*? Or, just for "typing"? (My tablets use an electronic stylus -- which is terrible for damn near everything other than *drawing*!)

I.e., is the touchscreen unresponsive? slow? INHERENTLY poorly implemented (and thus "to be avoided")??

So, are you claiming the problem would be similar for a "high end" tablet?

Make sure you can *buy* them in the quantities you want. Some of that stuff geared largely to consumer kit may have outrageous minimum buys! (or infinite lead times for anyone smaller than BigChinaCorp)

[*Finally* starting our cooling trend, here -- though still unseasonably humid! In a couple of months, we may make it down to 25C!! :-/ ]
Reply to
Don Y

But it is usable with a phone, tablet etc., has been for years. Look at the netmca-3 web page, the photo with my phone there begins to look outdated, must take a new photo with some newer phone.... :D .

There is huge value in that and I am taking full advantage of it already. The RFB compressing I do is pretty efficient (just RLE but for that sort of image this is very efficient) and I have been able to do online support (me and customer simultaneously looking at the same "screen" over VNC, the netmca supports multiple clients simultaneously) over all sorts of slow links to various countries. Being able to do that is a game changer, really. Besides, no competitor can do it, they don't even come close to it. The user can even put the netmca behind a router so it is not accessible from the internet directly (that is the usual configuration), then tell it to keep "calling" (i.e. initiate a tcp connection) to a particular host (or several hosts); it will then try to connect continuously to that host(s) and on an accepted connection will initiate an RFB session, once the connection is lost it will try again etc. IOW the user can have the netmca call his home PC, his office in the next building or whatever, all this without it being visible on the internet at all. In the lab, he would just access it behind the router.

Oh I do not intend to stop the netmca line at all, it is just beginning to gain popularity. It takes quite a while until people understand what it is and why it should replace their outdated stuff but it does happen eventually :-).

This is for a different product, I don't want to be too specific about it. It will retain all the RFB/VNC etc. functions of the netmca since it too will run under dps and this is general system stuff anyway (vncsrv is just a task spawned in as many instances as needed - well, not too many doing screen compress simultaneously of course but 2 is perfectly OK and often used, 3-4 should be OK too).

All of the above, it is unusable on these tablets. It can take you

*minutes* to be successful in pressing some small button, like the three dots for some setup etc., a complete nightmare. Then when you scroll the screen it moves in steps of 10-20 pixels only, plenty of "disallowed" positions....

Never had a high end tablet in my hands, but on decent phones (samsung galaxy s3 etc.) the problem is a lot less pronounced, typically unnoticeable. You have to look for it to see it, when it hits you you would think it was you who did not press where you wanted to (but it does happen, not that rarely really). The guy I mentioned showed me a tool for testing that sort of thing; he was just drawing diagonal lines over the phone and they came out like a ladder. This was on his iphone, which he told me had the best of the touchscreens in that respect...

I do find some on aliexpress etc. in small quantities, I'll get some before I commit, obviously.

Oh the summer here is all but gone (tomorrow is supposed to be a summery day, 24 to 27C max forecasts). We had 45 days of summer this year, even less than last year (two months then). And I remember times when June was already summer, sometimes mid-May too; this year it did not come until August. Must be the global warming, I am sure they'll keep repeating their nonsense even once we are a century into the ice age :D :D.

Dimiter

Dimiter_Popoff

Ah, OK. I shouldn't have ASSUMED... :-/

Hard to understand how folks would BUY them!

Hmmmm... perhaps I should be *happy* with my active stylus?? :> I am always amazed at how finely it resolves the position of the

*tip* of the stylus... very easy to tell if it is "off" even by a pixel or two! (and it isn't!)

I think we had 62+ days above 100F -- pretty "normal" for here. (I think we had 100 days above 100F a while back :< )

Unfortunately, it has become humid the past few weeks. Ick! (and I'm sure it isn't PARTICULARLY humid... we just get spoiled!)

Reply to
Don Y