Disk On Chip Help Wanted in UK

Hi All,
I have a DOC 2000 48M that needs reflashing with an Image already aquired.
The device it is intended for is an internet appliance, and such doesnt have
hard or floppy disk capibilities.

I already have the image for the DOC, its just a matter of someone who has a
DOC card doing it for me.

Anyone care to volunteer to do it for me if I send them the DOC and a CD
with the image, or suggest an easy/cheap way to do it with minimal time
investment?

Thanks, Vincent

Re: Disk On Chip Help Wanted in UK
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:43:06 +0100, "Vincent Crabtree"

Have you had a look at the "Disk-On-Chip & net card" thread that was
posted on this group on 2nd May 2003.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Re: Disk On Chip Help Wanted in UK

I watched this thread closeley, but it doesnt help with what I wanted
to do. I have posted similar requests in the past (see 'Disk On Chip
in NIC boot rom socket', 13th Jan 2003) about using NIC cards with
boot rom sockets to flash and host DOCs, but people seem to get
confused and start talking about IBM PC Rom headers. 'DiskOnChip as
Ethernet Card boot eprom', 17th Feb 2001 is a similar request.

I need to reflash my DOC; my application doesnt have access to floppy
or IDE connectors, so it cannot be done in the target.

If anyone has an M-Sys DOC ISA development board they would sell cheap
I might consider it, but if anyone in the UK can reflash my 32pin DOC
for me that would be great. Unfortunately my Dataman 48 programmer
cant cope with the DOC, so Im stuck.

Thanks, Vincent

Re: Disk On Chip Help Wanted in UK

Are not disk's on chips just IDE interfaces?

If so could you not just make an IDE to DIP connector for it and use a PC to
copy the image on there?

Ralph

Re: Disk On Chip Help Wanted in UK
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:45:54 +1200, "Ralph Mason"

No - only the ones with built-in IDE interfaces.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Re: Disk On Chip Help Wanted in UK
I've managed to reflash it myself, finally using a network card.

I used a WD800, hard set to D800. This has a 28pin Boot rom socket - I
fitted a 32pin socket into that. On pin 32 of the socket, I tied this
to +5v. On pin 31 of the socket,  tied this to B11 of the ISA edge
connector, the !MEMWR pin.

I then installed the 32pin DOC into the stacked IC sockets.

Voila, it works. There have been several attempts at doing this in the
past, one posted by me.

It should work with most any ISA network card, as long as you can
enable the boot rom socket, some in software, some with jumper links.

Cheers, Vincent

Re: Disk On Chip Help Wanted in UK
The DOC will function as a DOC in a host system, i.e. if it has an OS
installed and is configured correctly, it will boot.
YOu can use the M-Sys DOS based DOC utils to acces them - such as Dinfo.exe
or Dformat.exe

I used this method to burn a Webplayer image onto my DOC using the
docpmap.exe util.

Cheers, Vincent