disassemble c166

I'm using the TASKING EDE C166 tools and need to disassemble a pure binary image. What would be the best way to proceeed? I tried the normal disassembler but it only disassembles obj output files.

Reply to
roger

Very simple: convert the binary image into a hex file (google search: srecord) and then use the Crossview Pro Debugger Simulator. It also has a dump disassembly function.

grtnx /jan schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jan Homuth

It appears the debugger still wants an obj input file.... I have a hex file from the binary file but when loading this file the EDE says "Cannot download from given format". I used -Ascii_Hex as output format from command line in srecord.

Reply to
roger

You will have to start Crossview Pro and then select "Download Application". Crossview Pro does load hex files. You will have to disable the options: Verify download Use map file for memory map

grtnx /jan

Reply to
Jan Homuth

I originally tried unchecking verify and use map checkboxes.

Maybe you have a tiny hex file that I can try to load ?

My target processor is Infineon C166S.

Reply to
roger

I get 'invalid imagefile' message.

The starting content of hex file looks like:

(02 as binary) fa 02 70 2d 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 32

35 2e 31 30 2e 30 32 31 35 3a 31 39 3a 31..............

the hext content matches the binary image, I assume the leading 02 binary is a spec for the HEX content format.

Is this format correct ?

Reply to
roger

Doesn't look like Intel-HEX. Each record should start with a semicolon (see 'Intel-Hex format' appendix in assembler manual). If you're using srec_cat as advised by Jan then try this:

srec_cat hello.bin -binary -output hello.hex -intel

This should result in a proper hex file.

Regards,

-- Henk-Piet Glas Support Engineer

----------------------------------------------------------- E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@altium.nl Altium Software BV Voice: +31-33-455 85 84 Saturnus 2 Fax: +31-33-455 55 03 3824 ME Amersfoort WWW:

The Netherlands

-------[ Altium -- Making Electronics Design Easier ]------

Reply to
Henk-Piet Glas

That one worked.... Thanks.

Reply to
roger

I need to save the disassembly into an assembler source file, and don't see any easy way of doing this.

Regards,

R Dunn

Reply to
roger

You can do so by logging the output from CrossView Pro's command window:

(1) >> disassembly.txt (2) dis 0x2f4,#10 (3) >> c

In here (1) enables redirection to disassembly.txt, (2) does the disassembly and (3) closes disassembly.txt.