device monitoring

Hey all,
was thinking of doing a project using device monitoring,will prob need
to tie in about 4 technologies/protocols together when working with it,
along with investigating terms such as "snmp", "cacti" & "rrdtool".
Anybody know anything bout these? Any feedback, links etc. will be very
much appreciated
pd

Re: device monitoring

http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/dc/demos/index.shtml

Re: device monitoring
Thanks Brian for the link, anyone else know of anything similar???

Re: device monitoring

Have you attempted to Google for the keywords?

I got hundreds of thousands of hits in less than a second.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: device monitoring
I did yes, but everything seems very vague. Im looking for info from
anybody who has done anything like this before, recommendations,
appropriatelinks etc.  See below for my plan.
For my project il prob need to tie in about 4 technologies/protocols
together when working with it.
SNMP Simple Network Management Protocol is a platform independant
protocol used to transmit device status information across a network.
How this info is picked-up, translated and finally used/presented is
the trick. I will try to enable SNMP on a few machines so I can see
what is being broadcast. It runs as a service and can be installed on
any machine.
A few applications exist, which pull in the SNMP data and make sense of
it. All I need is an IP Address and a SNMP enabled box. Typically a
scan every 5mins collects the data and creates trends which can be used
to access performance and even identify problems on CPU/Memory
usage/Harddisk usage/etc.
When collecting the data, I then plan to use it in graphs to be stored
to be used for historical reference.
That is a basic spec of what I plan to do, any more recommendations??

Re: device monitoring

SNMP as a protocol is simple. What is not simple is
the coding of the data in the packets.

The protocol calls for a minimum data store
called a MIB (Management Information Block),
and it's far too extensive for a simple monitoring
job if the device is not a network node.

The MIB components transferred over the UDP packets
of a SNMP connection are coded in a special format
called ASN.1 which is also not-so-simple.

The W Richard Stevens' book on TCP/IP protocols
(TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1) describes the
SNMP transfer protocol pretty well, but the MIB
and ASN.1 are left with a cursory glipmpse.

There is a book of SNMP in the O'Reilly animal
series, but it's mostly targeted for using ready
SNMP tools for network monitoring.

HTH

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: device monitoring
In most cases, on a PC or workstation, SNMP tends to work in a passive way
rather like a web server. To obtain information from an SNMP enabled device,
you need a MIB browser.

Think of SNMP as many web servers all being viewed by a single browser.

An SNMP agent stores data in the system being monitored in what is called a
MIB table. When a request for data comes in from the outside world, it is
also in the format of a MIB, but the MIB is empty. The agent fills the MIB
with the data that it has gathered and sends it back to the source of the
request. At least that is the simple explanation. There is a bit more
shifting of data being done.

SNMP also has alarms, which have to be subscribed to. So a node that is
interested in a particular alarm, tells the agent. When the alarm occurs,
the agent replied to all the alarm requests. This is rather like push from a
web server.

If the device is 'intelligent' enough to run an SNMP agent then it is
possible it could use CORBA (look up "What is CORBA" on Google). You might
want to add CORBA to your list.

You could of course consider XML and HTTP as an alternative to SNMP (half
the embedded systems world seems be doing just that).

Hope this helps.