Developmet kit for embedded education

Probably Chris should have qualified that with '8 bit realm'...

I have not seen Firewire, for example, but also know of no customers for 8051+Firewire :) - That's ARM-Space.

There are devices with IEEE1284, so you could deploy a IEEE 488, ( should you want to ?).

HDLC ? - I am sure there are some.

Resolver-Digital : if this means Sin/Cosine LVDT style devices, not in HW only, but devices like the C8051F064, with 1MSPS / 16 Bit ADC would eat that problem.

There are many devices in which the '8051 is the peripheral', and that means you can get high performances for particular systems. eg USB 2.0 at 480MBaud, 100MBd Ethernet (IIRC), 24 Bit ADC, 16 Bit ADC/DAC, BlueTooth, 3 Phase Power meters, ADSL & PowerLine modems ...

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Flexray? I think the only Micro with it at the moment is a Motorola (Freescale) device but that's not generally available either. I would expect that Flexray will show up on an 8051 variant at some point if the bus comes to fruition.

Less bleeding edge Arcnet? Firewire? I wouldn't be surprised to see this one on an 8051, I just haven't seen it.

Ed Beroset mentioned IEEE-488, there was a time that would have been quite useful.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

And the somewhat related TTP.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

How so? What niche do you think the 8051 fills? I doubt if the good folks at Arm would like your comparison. Is the Arm as a standalone processor going to be made by everyone and his brother like the 8051? Are Arm tools going to be freely available all over the net? If so then your statement might have some merit.

Reply to
CBarn24050

that

thought about this topic or don't adequately understand it, but I'll reply nevertheless.

They actively foster the comparison.

It depends what you're asking. ARM makes nothing tangible, in case you didn't know this. They are an IP company. So the answer to the question "are ARM cores going to be fabbed by everyone and his brother like the

8051?" is "they already are". And ARM likes this just fine, since they get a bite of every single one. That's their business model.

They already are.

Reply to
larwe

In article , snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com writes

I should cite the reference It is from "Embedded System Design on a Shoestring: Achieving High performance with a Limited Budget"

Published 2003 by Newnes / Elsevier ISNB 0-7506-7604-4 Author LEwin A. R. W. Edwards

It is how to use Linux on a small Atmel Arm board. see

As Lewin says ARM is holding the same space in the 32 bit market that the 51 has in the 8 bit market.

"everyone" produces 51 and ARM parts (even Atmel who do the AVR) "Everyone" produces 51 and ARM tools (from FREE to very expensive) "everyone" produces 51 and ARM example code

The 51 performance and peripherals are taking it into to the low end 16 bit area.

The ARM cost model is taking it down to the 16 bit market.

5 years ago the head of Micros for Philips said he could foresee "in 5 years" that the 8 bit and 32 bit markets would meet on price/performance and the 16 bit market would disappear.

There will of course always be exceptions.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , CBarn24050 writes

The 51 is not a niche. It is broad market. AVR, XA, Rabbit etc are Niche.

They actively promote it. The 51 is like the Jeep. Old, has it's faults but is everywhere. "Everyone" has used one. "Everyone" knows it.

They want ARM to be seen as the generic processor you go to when the 51 is not powerful enough for your project. Default choice 51 or ARM (unless you need something special)

No. I doubt ARM core will ever be availible like the 8031/2 8051/2 was. ARM do IP cores. Everyone else will use the core to produce stand alone part with ARM core and peripherals.

Why free? That is largely irrelevant for professional development. Though Lewin and I disagree fundamentally on this point :-)

However the answer is yes. Lewin's book is about GNU & Linux for ARM (Atmel ARM7 parts). Most commercial ARM debuggers come with a free GNU ARM compiler.

Though for the professionals :-) there is a very wide choice of commercial compilers and tools.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

ARM don't make processors, just just design the cores. Tons of compaines make CPUs based on the ARM code.

They already are. The GNU tools are fairly decent.

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

Reply to
Walter Banks

In article , Chris Hills writes

However IEE 488 on a 51 :-)

5536?v=glance

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

I would recommend that you check out

I happen to have taken a class by the author of the book, and it was quite excellent. The book even includes sample lab assignments.

ttyl,

--buddy

Reply to
Buddy Smith

Hi,

I can assure you they do like it a lot! ARM related companies offer many devices for different target markets and yet, there are still SOOOO many more 51-designs which ARM would love to get hold of, once all these designs migrate.

An Schwob

CBarn24050 wrote:

the

common:

that

folks at

going to

going to be

have some

Reply to
An Schwob in USA

Nick,

You may want to try some of the low-cost ARM based eval boards from LogicPD or Revely. They are based on Sharp MCU's and come with free GCC tools with plenty of RTOS ports available for them.

learn more here:

I hope this helps!

-Z

Reply to